"WESTERDALE, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.S.E. from Guilsbrough, containing 281 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the, peculiar jurisdiction of the manorial court of Westerdale, and in the patronage of the Rector of Stokesley. Fifteen children are instructed for £15 per annumi arising from a rent-charge of £3, given by Jane Duck, in 1734, and certain land left by Mary Fish, in 1741."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]