"WESTERDALE, a parish in the E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 7 miles S.E. of Guisbrough, and 2 from Castleton. The village is situated on the Esk, near its source. The soil is peat and clay, upon a subsoil of gravel. The parish includes the township of Baysdale. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, annexed to the rectory of Stokesley. The dedication of the church is unknown. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There is a church school, with an endowment of £16 per annum, and a Sunday-school. The Hon. Colonel Duncombe, M.P., is lord of the manor, and resides at Westerdale Hall; another seat is Baysdale Abbey, the property of Lord Boyne."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013