"WEST TANFIELD, a parish in the wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 6 miles from Bedale, its post town, 6 N.W. of Ripon, and 4 S.E. of Masham. The village, which is considerable, is situated at the bridge over the river Ure. The parish includes the hamlets of Binscoe, Nosterfield, and Thornbrough. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £416. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is old, and contains a brass bearing date 1480. The parochial charities produce about £33 per annum, of which £8 go to a school. There is a National school for both sexes, supported by the Marquis of Ailesbury, and in connection with it is a Sunday-school. The Wesleyans have a chapel. At a short distance from the church are ruins of Tanfield Castle, an old seat of the Marmions, who founded a chantry here in the reign of Henry III. The Marquis of Ailesbury is lord of the manor."
"BINSCOE, a village in the parish of West Tanfield, wapentake of Hallikeld, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles from Masham."
"NOSTERFIELD, a hamlet in the parish of West Tanfield, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Masham."
"THORNBROUGH, a hamlet in the parish of West Tanfield, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Masham."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
by Colin Hinson ©2013