"WHENBY, a parish in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles E. from' Easingwold, containing 129 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at' £4.8.4., and in the patronage of W. Garforth, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Martin."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]