Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for WHENBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

WHENBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.

Wapentake of Bulmer - Electoral Division of Stillington - Poor Law Union, Petty Sessional Division, County Court District, and Rural Deanery of Easingwold - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.

Whenby is a township, parish, and small village, lying between Sheriff Hutton and Brandsby, and a little to the east of the Howardian Hills. It has an area of 1,041 acres, and a population of 111 souls. The whole estate is the manor of W. H. Garforth, Esq., of Wiganthorpe. The surface is undulating, and the soil generally a rich clay loam. Whenby is a small village, eight miles east of Easingwold.

The church of St. Martin is an ancient stone building in the Early English style of architecture, and has a chancel, north aisle, porch, nave, mortuary chapel, and a fine, lofty tower, containing three bells. It was restored, at a cost of £700, in 1871, when a north aisle of stone was added. The principal entrance is by the north porch, through a handsome Norman doorway. There is a doorway of ancient date, which is generally supposed to have been used for public access to the church, or in connection with the priest's house. The living is a discharged vicarage valued, in the King's Books, at £4 8s. 4d., and now worth £120 a year. The patron is W. H. Garforth, Esq., and the vicar the Rev. John Lascelles, M.A., of Clare College, Cambridge, who was appointed in 1885. He is vicar of Sheriff Hutton, and resides there. He attends here on Sundays at 2 p.m. for service. Tradition says that the unfortunate Lord Derwentwater lived in a house adjoining the church, which was pulled down in the early part of the present century.

Whenby Church of England schools, attended by 50 children, are kept up by subscriptions, government grants, and school fees. There is a charity of £1 a year, left by a person named Bolton, out of land at Dalby - 10s. to be paid to the vicar for preaching a sermon on the 14th January, and the other 10s. to the poor.

Foulrice is a small hamlet in Whenby and Brandsby parishes, one mile west of the former place.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]

Directories

  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016