Parish main page
Wapentake of Bulmer - Electoral Division of Stillington - Poor Law Union, Petty Sessional Division, County Court District, and Rural Deanery of Easingwold - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Whenby is a township, parish, and small village, lying between Sheriff Hutton and Brandsby, and a little to the east of the Howardian Hills. It has an area of 1,041 acres, and a population of 111 souls. The whole estate is the manor of W. H. Garforth, Esq., of Wiganthorpe. The surface is undulating, and the soil generally a rich clay loam. Whenby is a small village, eight miles east of Easingwold.
The church of St. Martin is an ancient stone building in the Early English style of architecture, and has a chancel, north aisle, porch, nave, mortuary chapel, and a fine, lofty tower, containing three bells. It was restored, at a cost of £700, in 1871, when a north aisle of stone was added. The principal entrance is by the north porch, through a handsome Norman doorway. There is a doorway of ancient date, which is generally supposed to have been used for public access to the church, or in connection with the priest's house. The living is a discharged vicarage valued, in the King's Books, at £4 8s. 4d., and now worth £120 a year. The patron is W. H. Garforth, Esq., and the vicar the Rev. John Lascelles, M.A., of Clare College, Cambridge, who was appointed in 1885. He is vicar of Sheriff Hutton, and resides there. He attends here on Sundays at 2 p.m. for service. Tradition says that the unfortunate Lord Derwentwater lived in a house adjoining the church, which was pulled down in the early part of the present century.
Whenby Church of England schools, attended by 50 children, are kept up by subscriptions, government grants, and school fees. There is a charity of £1 a year, left by a person named Bolton, out of land at Dalby - 10s. to be paid to the vicar for preaching a sermon on the 14th January, and the other 10s. to the poor.
Foulrice is a small hamlet in Whenby and Brandsby parishes, one mile west of the former place.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.