GENUKI Home page    Whitby Parish Whitby
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Whitby:


"AISLABY, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 3 miles WSW. of Whitby. (the seats of Mark Noble and John Benson, Esqrs.) Here is a Chapel of Ease to the parish church, of which the Rev. Joseph Robertson is incumbent, and the Rev. Timothy Castley, officiating curate, Patron, John Boulby, Esq. Population, 253."


"COCK MILL, a farm house and Mill, in the township of Hawsker-with-Stainsacre, and parish of Whitby; 1 mile S. from Whitby"


"CROSS BUTTS, a farm house in the township of Ruswarp and parish of Whitby, wapentake & liberty of Whitby Strand; 1 miles WSW. of Whitby."


"DUNSLEY, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 2 miles W. of Whitby. A small village, situate upon the bay, called by Ptolomy, Dunus Sinus. That this was a landing place used by the Romans, is evident from ass inscription on a stone, dug up here in the year 1774; by which it appears, that the Emperor Justinian built a maritime fort, or castle here, from which is a Roman road extending for many miles over the moors to York, called Wade's Causeway. The Danes, in the year 867. landed at this place with a numerous army, and spread desolation and misery over all the country. Population with Newholme 259."


"EAST ROW, in the township of Newholme-with-Dunsley, and parish of Whitby, wapentake of Whitby-Strand; 2 miles WNW. of Whitby."


"ESKDALESIDE, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 3 miles WSW. of Whitby. Here was a small priory, founded in the reign of king John, which continued till the general dissolution. Population 395.

There are also the remains of a Chapel, which formerly belonged to Whitby Abbey, where an hermit was slain by some hunters, whilst chasing a wild boar, for which offence a penance of cutting down a quantity of stakes with a penny knife, and carrying them to Whitby, once in the year on ascension day, was enjoined upon them, and made the tenure by which they and their descendants should hold their lands. The chapel which was called St. John's, is now in ruins, and in which state it appears to have been in 1774, when Grose took the view which he has inserted in his Antiquities, (vol. vi.) and where may be found a full account of the murder of the Monk at Whitby, which he tells us, gave rise to the building of this chapel. -Young."


"FALLING FOSS, a waterfall in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 5 miles S. of Whitby."


"FIELD HOUSE, (the seat of Christopher Richardson, Esq.) in the township of Ruswarp, and parish of Whitby; 2 miles from Whitby."


"HAGG, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand ; 2 miles SSW. of Whitby."


"HIGH HAWSKER, (and Low Hawsker) in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand ; 3 miles SE. of Whitby. Here is a House of Industry for the poor. Population, including Stainsacre, 634.

Here was formerly a Chapel to Whitby dedicated to All-Saints; an ancient cross 6 feet high, neatly carved on all sides, is almost the only thing remaining to point out the site. -Young's Picture of Whitby."


"HIGH STAKESBY, (and Low Stakesby) in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand, (the seat of John Blackburn, Esq.,), 1 mile WSW. of Whitby."


"IBURNDALE, a single house in the township of Ugglebarnby, and parish of Whitby; 3 miles SSW. of Whitby, 2 miles SSE. of Whitby."


"LARPOOL HALL, (the seat of Edmund Turton, Esq.) in the township of Hawsker- with-Stainsacre, and parish of Whitby; 1 miles S. of Whitby."


"LEAS HEAD, a farm house in the township of Ugglebarnby, and parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 5 miles SSW. of Whitby."


"LITTLEBECK, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 4 miles SSW. of Whitby."


"MITTON HILL, a single house in the parish of Whitby, township of Hawsker-with- Stainsacre; 3 miles SSE. of Whitby."


"NEWHOLM, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 2 miles WSW. of Whitby. Pop. including Dunsley, 259."


"NEWTON HOUSE, (the seat of --- Moss, Esq) in the township of Ugglebarnby, and parish of Whitby; 4 miles S. of Whitby,

This house was built by the late Jonas Brown, esq. On an obelisk near the house is a latin inscription, to commemorate his industry and perseverance, in converting wild moors into pleasure grounds. -Young's Picture of Whitby."


"PARK GATE, a farm house in the parish of Whitby, wapentake & liberty of Whitby Strand; 4 miles SSE. of Whitby."


"RAITHWAITE, (the seat of Israel Hunter, Esq.) in the township of Newholme-with- Dunsley, and parish of Whitby; 1 miles W. of Whitby."


"RATHWAITE, a single house in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 2 miles W. of Whitby."


"RAW, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 4 miles SSE. of Whitby."


"RUSWARP, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; (the seat of Miss Pennyman); 1 miles SSW. of Whitby. The greater part of Ruswarp adjoins Whitby. Pop. 1918."


"SLEIGHTS, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake & liberty of Whitby Strand; 3 miles SW. of Whitby, 4 miles SW. of Whitby. (Sleights Hall, the seat of Mrs. Bateman, and Esk-Hall, the seat of John Campion Coates, Esq.) There is here a very neat Chapel of Ease, and the Rev. Mr. Robertson of Whitby, is the incumbent, with a number of handsome monuments in the church-yard."


"SNEATON CASTLE, (the seat of James Wilson, Esq.) in the township of Ruswarp, and parish of Whitby; 1 mile from Whitby."


"STAINSACRE, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; (the seat of Jonathan Sanders); 2 miles SSE. of Whitby. Pop. included with High Hawsker."


"STEPNEY, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 1 miles WSW. of Whitby."


"STOUPE BROW, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 6 miles SSE. of Whitby. The road from Robin Hood's Bay to Stoupe Brow, is along the sandy beach, under a high and steep cliff, to which the sea flows as the tide advances; and the passage is unsafe, unless there be, when the traveller sets out, a spacious area of the sand not covered by the water, or the tide be receding. The residence of Sunderland Cooke, Esq. is at Stoupe hall, in this township. The height of Stoupe Brow is 893 feet, and few appearances in nature are more awfully grand than the view from its summit. As the declivity of Stoupe Brow is impracticable to carriages, the main road from Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay to Scarborough, lies over the moors, in some places near the edge of the cliff. On this road, in the year 1809, there happened an accident, of which the circumstances, were they not so well attested as to leave no room for doubt, would appear absolutely impossible. A lady and two young gentlemen, travelling in a post chaise to Scarborough, the driver, on some occasion, alighted, and the horses, being left to themselves, immediately struck into a gallop. Before they had proceeded far, both the horses and chaise fell over the cliff, down a tremendous precipice of nearly one hundred feet high, and of which about forty feet next to the bottom is a perpendicular rock. In its fall, the chaise turned over three times, yet neither the horses, the chaise, nor the passengers suffered any injury, except that the lady received a trifling scratch on the face, and the party immediately proceeded to Scarborough. (Bigland's Yorkshire, page 342.)"


"UGGLEBARNBY, in the parish of Whitby, wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 2 miles SSW. of Whitby. The chapel at this place was built in the year 1137, by Nicholas, the Abbot of Whitby; the Rev. J. Robertson, of Whitby, is the perpetual curate. Population, 428."


"WOODLANDS, (the seat of Henry Walker Yeoman, Esq) in the township of Aislaby, and parish of Whitby; 3 miles SW. of Whitby."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014