Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Whorlton:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Whorlton:


"FACEBY, in the parish of Whorlton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; ¾ mile NE. of Whorlton, 4 miles SW. of Stokesley. Jas. Favell, Esq. resides at the lodge here. Pop. 178. The Church, which was formerly a donative benefice, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St Mary Magdalen, in the deanry of Cleveland, value, p.r. 36L. 16s. Patrons, Trustees of the late George Sutton, Esq. The principal part of the township is within the parish of Whorlton."


"GOULTON, in the parish of Whorlton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1 mile N. of Whorlton, 4 miles SW. of Stokesley."


"HEATHWAITE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Whorlton; ½ mile S. of Whorlton, 6 miles from Stokesley, 11 from Northallerton."


"POTTO, (or Pottoe) a small hamlet, in the parish of Whorlton wapentake and liberty of Langbargh ; ¾ mile W. of Whorlton, 5 miles SW. of Stokesley. Pop. 207."


"SCARTH WOOD, in the parish of Whorlton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1½ miles SW. of Whorlton, 7 miles from Stokesley."


"SCARTHNICK, in the parish of Whorlton, west-division of Langbarugh; 1¼ miles SW. of Whorlton, 7 miles from, Stokesley, 11 from Northallerton.

Here, was a religious house founded by Stephen Meinil, sen. tempt. Henry I. and afterwards annexed to Guisborn, (Guisborough) and made a cell of Canons of the order of St. Austin, to that monastery. There are no remains nor any traces of the building now left."


"SCUGDALE, in the parish of Whorlton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2½ miles SE. of Whorlton, 6 miles SW. of Stokesley; a beautiful sequestered vale, in which there is an extensive bleach yard, belonging to Mr. William Boville, in great fame for its superior whitening of cloth."


"SHEPHERD HILL, in the parish of Whorlton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; ¾ mile S. of Whorlton, 7 miles from Stokesley."


"SWAINBY, in the parish of Whorlton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; ½ mile SW. of Whorlton, 5 miles SW. of Stokesley. There are here a Methodist chapel, and a chapel for the Primitive Methodists. An ancient religious house founded by Helleiwise, daughter of Ranulph de Glanville, in the reign of Henry II. stood here, but not a vestige of it now remains. Population including the township of Whorlton, 583."


"TRENHOLME, a small hamlet in the parish of Whorlton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2¼ miles W. of Whorlton, 8 miles SSW. of Stokesley."


"WEST LEES, a farm house in the township and parish of Whorlton; ¾ mile W. of Whorlton, 5½ miles from Stokesley."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]