Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for WIGGINTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

WIGGINTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.

Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessional Division of East Bulmer - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Electoral Division of Clifton - Rural Deanery of Easingwold - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.

This parish, which lies about 4½ miles north of York, contains an area of 1,777 acres, rated at £3,049, and had a population at the last census of 399. The village is situated about half-a-mile from the railway station at Haxby. The soil is various - partly strong land, partly clay, and partly light sand.

The church - style, Early English - was erected on the site of the old edifice in 1860, at a cost of £890, by jubilee subscriptions. It consists of chancel, nave, north porch, and belfry containing two bells. It will seat 150 persons. The register dates from 1691. The living is a rectory, of the yearly value of £260, and is in the gift of the Crown, and the present vicar is the Rev. Wortley Corbett, B.A., of Merton College. National school (mixed), for 60 children; average attendance, 45.

CHARITIES. - On a board in the church is the following:- "Ann Nicholson, formerly of this town, widow, by her last will and testament, dated the 19th of April, 1786, and registered in the Ecclesiastical Court, at York, Nov. 15th, 1788, did give and bequeath the residue of her personal estate and effects unto the churchwardens and overseers of the poor of the township of Wigginton, in the County of York, for the time being, upon trust, that they, or their successors for the time being, do convert her said estate and effects into money, and place it out and continue the same at interest, and apply the interest thereof in buying bread to be distributed from time to time amongst the poor inhabitants of Wigginton aforesaid attending divine service on the 18th day of December, 1788. John Venn, Thomas Hodgson, R. Kilvington, being the churchwardens and overseers of the poor of this township, with the residue aforesaid, did purchase one hundred and twenty pounds stock in the consolidated four per cent annuities, the interest of which is intended to be applied to the above mentioned purposes of the will of the said Ann Nicholson."

The Poor and Town's land, six acres, lets for £13 10s. per annum, of which £3 10s. is distributed amongst the poor.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]

Directories

  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.