GENUKI Home page    Wycliffe Parish<br>main page Wycliffe
main page

Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"WYCLIFFE, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling-West, North Riding county York, 2½ miles N.E. of Greta-Bridge, and 8 N.W. of Richmond. It is situated on the banks of the Tees, comprising the townships of Thorpe and Wycliffe, and is said to be the birth-place, in 1324, of Wycliffe, whose family were settled here from the Conquest down to 1606. The soil is loamy and well cultivated. Wycliffe Hall is the residence of G. Sowerby, Esq. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £500. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The Roman Catholics have a chapel. The charities produce about £3 per annum. Sir T. A. C. Constable, Bart., of Burton Constable, is lord of the manor."

"GRETA BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parishes of Brignall, Rokeby, and Wycliffe, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Barnard Castle. It is situated on the ancient Watling Street; and the river Greta, a tributary of the Tees, flows through the hamlet. Roman relics have been found in the neighbourhood."

"THORPE, a township in the parish of Wycliffe, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Barnard Castle, on the river Tees."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015