|Yorkshire||North RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WYKEHAM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 7 miles SW. of Scarborough. situated on the high road from Malton to York. - The parish church, dedicated to St. Michael and St. Mary, is a neat and commodious structure, having been repaired and embellished by the liberality of the late Richard Langley, Esq. the living is A curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Hutchins, and the Rev. John Caley, is the incumbent. At this place was formerly a priory, of which some venerable Gothic ruins remain. It was founded by Pagan Fits Osbert de Wykeham, about the year 1153, for nuns of the Cistercian order. The mansionhouse, which is near the ruins of the abbey, and a little to the westward of the village, is an elegant modern building, and the plantations are judiciously dispersed. Pop. 582."
"RUSTON, (or Rushton) a hamlet in the parish of Wykeham, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; ¼ mile W. of Wykeham, 7½ miles SW. of Scarborough."
"WYKEHAM ABBEY, (the seat of the Hon. Mrs Langley) in the parish of Wykeham.
Here Pain Fitz-osbert de Wickham, about the year 1153, built and endowed a priory of Cistercian Nuns, to the honour of the Virgin Mary and St. Helen. At the dissolution there were in it nine religious. Valued at 26L. 17s. 6d. per annum. --Dugdale --Speed. Nothing remains of this venerable Gothic structure except part of its north-end wall and its chapel. --Hinderwell. Near to Wykeham is a fine large sheet of water, containing abundance of fish, over which is an iron bridge, erected by Richard Langley, Esq. in 1802."
"WYKEHAM GRANGE, a farm house in the township and parish of Wykeham; 1¾ miles NNW. of Wykeham, 8 miles from Scarborough, 11 from Pickering."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]