"YARM, (given as "YARUM") a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, 6 m. from Gisborough, 176 cm. 212 mm. from London, has a fine stone-bridge over the Tees, which not far off receives the r. Levan. It had formerly 2 mons. and though a small T. it is a corp. bigger and better built than Darlington, and carries on a pretty trade to London by water, for lead, corn, and butter. It has a Mt. on Th. Fairs on Holy-Th. and Oct. 8. In the civil wars this T. had a garrison for the Pt. which Sir William Cavendish, afterwards D. of Newcastle, dislodged."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]