The Ancient Parish of YORK SAINT MICHAEL LE BELFREY
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"YORK SAINT MICHAEL LE BELFREY, a parish in the Ainsty containing places in the
"CLIFTON, in the parishes of York Saint Michael le Belfrey and York Saint Olave,
wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St Peter; adjoins the north side
of York; ¾ mile from St. Olave, 1 mile NW. of York, situated on the road to
Easingwold. Pop. 469."
"RAWCLIFFE, in the parishes of York Saint Michael le Belfrey and York Saint
Olave, wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles NNW. of York
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
The Church of St. Michael Le Belfrey, York.
St. Luke's Church, Clifton.
The Church of St. Philip and St. James, Clifton (view 1).
The Church of St. Philip and St. James, Clifton (view 2).
The Methodist Church, Clifton (view 1).
The Methodist Church, Clifton (view 2).
The former Clifton Hospital Chapel, Clifton, now offices.
St. Thomas' Church, Clifton.
The Wesleyan Chapel, Clifton.
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Clifton.
St. Mark's Church, Rawcliffe.
- In 1872, Clifton was constituted a distinct parish embracing the
townships of Clifton and Rawcliffe. See
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014