St Gregory's Church Bedale is on the northern side of North End, opposite Bedale Museum and Library.
The original church, a simple aisless nave and chancel, was twelfth century or perhaps earlier. At the
end of that century the chancel was rebuilt and widened southwards, and at the same time the nave
received a north aisle. The south chapel was added about 1200 or a little later, and towards the end
of the thirteenth century the nave's south aisle was rebuilt.|
The mighty west tower, with porch, was built about 1330, and the chancel was lengthened eastwards. The north chapel is known to have been rebuilt by Brian Thornhill, rector, about 1340. The top story of the tower is a fifteenth century addition, and so is the nave's clearstory. During the English Civil War Puritans vandalised some features. Rebuilt by the Victorians, the Gothic church consists of a chancel, north and south chapels, nave, north and south aisles, and tower. [The History Files]
St Gregory's Church is located at OS Grid Ref. SE2655688449
|Find nearby Churches in the Genuki Church database|
If you have an interest in Church Architecture, please see Phil Draper's "Church Crawler" pages.