The Parish Church of St Mary, Haxby, is located on the northern side of The Village, opposite Haxby Shopping Centre.
Originally services were probably held in the open, perhaps around a stone cross, the ninth or tenth century base of
which survives on the south side of the church. Until the fourteenth century, people generally travelled to Strensall
church. A burial ground in Haxby was dedicated on 17 June 1328, and in 1472 the villagers gained their own priest.|
A chapel of ease was built here in the sixteenth century, but became very dilapidated and was described as an 'unsightly building, inconveniently arranged inside. In appearance it looked more like a large barn than a temple'. The old church was destroyed by fire in 1876. It was rebuilt in 1878 in the early Gothic style. In 1911 the church tower was moved, the nave was extended to the west and a porch added. The 'new' church was dedicated on 16 November 1911. [The History Files]
St Mary's Church is located at OS Grid Ref. SE6067258271
If you have an interest in Church Architecture, please see Phil Draper's "Church Crawler" pages.