The Church of the Holy Trinity, Holtby, lies on the eastern side of Holtby Lane, just south of Church Rise.
The parish of Holtby is separated from the East Riding by the York and Bridlington road, the 'king's highway'
on which its inhabitants were accused of encroaching in 1275. The earliest mention of a church here seems to
occur in the charter of Henry II. It belonged to Durham Priory and followed the descent of the priory manor
until 1600, surviving the Dissolution.|
Little is recorded of the old church, and it was swept away in 1792 when a new building was erected on the site. This was restored in 1841, but was practically rebuilt in 1881 by J R Naylor of Derby. The present church is a small building of red brick with stone dressings, consisting of a chancel, nave and west tower. The style is Norman, and the chancel has a Norman-style arch and an eastern apse. The tower contains two bells which are only approachable by ladder. [The History Files]
Holy Trinity Church is located at OS Grid Ref. SE6751854184
|Find nearby Churches in the Genuki Church database|
If you have an interest in Church Architecture, please see Phil Draper's "Church Crawler" pages.