St James' Church, Murton, is on the southern side of Murton Way, one third of the way eastwards from Murton
Garth to Murton Lane, sitting in otherwise open fieldland. Murton is mentioned in Domesday Book in 1086, and
although the origins of the church are unknown, it has been suggested that some of the masonry and the south
doorway date to about 1200. It retained the status of a chapel of ease to St Thomas Church, Osbaldwick, and
holds just fifty-four people.|
Few alterations appear to have been made during its long life, and few facts exist on its history. In 1834 a violent storm damaged the roof, rendering the church unfit for use. There was a long-running dispute over who was responsible for repair, with the result that the church remained a ruin for the rest of the nineteenth century. For some of this time it served as a pig sty. The vicar and others raised funds in 1912-1914 and the church was rededicated on 9 November 1914. [The History Files]
St. James' Church is located at OS Grid Ref. SE6488052601
If you have an interest in Church Architecture, please see Phil Draper's "Church Crawler" pages.