The Church of All Saints, Pickhill, lies on the eastern side of Swainby Lane at the junction with
Lowfields Lane, in Pickhill with Roxby. The church was built around 1150, in coursed squared stone
and ashlar, with a graduated stone slate roof. Only the chancel and nave existed at first, with the
north aisle and chapel being added around 1200. There were additions in the thirteenth, fourteenth,
and fifteenth centuries, with the chancel being enlarged in the second phase.|
The last of these additions saw the three stage west tower erected, late in the fifteenth century, with offset diagonal buttresses and a wide angle buttress to the east of the south front which forms a stair tower with three slit openings. The Victorians restored and enlarged the building in 1877 under the direction of G E Street, although some of the original Norman work survived. Until 2002 the tower contained a ring of three bells, with three more being added in that year. [The History Files]
All Saints' Church is located at OS Grid Ref. SE3472283750
If you have an interest in Church Architecture, please see Phil Draper's "Church Crawler" pages.