St Mary the Virgin, Strensall, lies at the north-western end of Church Lane, on the upper edge of the village.
The first church here seems to have been Norman, built between 1100-1150. It had rubble walls with dressings of
Tadcaster or Bramham Moor stone. The interior fittings were basic, while the seats were made of thick, rough-hewn
oak. By 1166 Strensall was held by York Minster. The original church building was in a state of decay when a
full rebuild was ordered.|
The vestry was added in the 1960s and by 2010 was also serving as the church hall. Extensive rebuilding on the original foundations was carried out in 1803-1804, but the work, in brick, lacked any style or quality. By 1863 this building was in a very dilapidated condition and after being damaged by autumn gales a replacement was decided upon. The present church was completed in the Early Decorated style in 1866 to a design by the architects J B and W Atkinson of York. [The History Files]
The Church of St. Mary the Virgin is located at OS Grid Ref. SE6299660755
If you have an interest in Church Architecture, please see Phil Draper's "Church Crawler" pages.