The Parish Church of St Nicholas West Tanfield occupies a large plot on the western side of Burnt Lane, with Main
Street on the northern flank and Church Street and the River Ure to the south, overlooked by the Marmion Tower. The
church was built in the twelfth century, and around 1350 a north aisle was added to the nave. The three-stage tower
was added in the fifteenth century, with diagonal angle buttresses and an embattled parapet and moulded plinth.|
The chancel was also extended to its present length in the fifteenth century. The church underwent drastic restoration in 1859, which swept away much of the original building. The twelfth century chancel arch was replaced. The building now consists of chancel, nave, north aisle and chapel, west tower, north vestry, and south porch. There are six bells in the tower. Three were cast in 1879, a fourth in 1685, and a fifth and sixth in 1695, both of which were recast in 1873. [The History Files]
St. Nicholas' Church is located at OS Grid Ref. SE2679878738
|Find nearby Churches in the Genuki Church database|
If you have an interest in Church Architecture, please see Phil Draper's "Church Crawler" pages.