St Nicholas Church, Wigginton, is at the south-west corner of Church Lane and Back Lane. The name of
the village is thought to be Norse in origin, the root deriving from 'Vikigr-ton', or Viking hamlet.
The origins of the church are unknown, but there was a chapel in the village in the middle of the
thirteenth century (1247), when the parish was held by York Minster. The first recorded mention of
the church was in 1424, when the bishop of Dromore was given licence to dedicate.|
That church of 1424 appears to have been built of magnesium limestone, and roofed with orange clay tiles, many thousands of which can still be found on the site. No record of its appearance is known to have survived. The present church was built in 1860, dedicated as St Mary & St Nicholas Church. Constructed in the Gothic style, it consists of a nave without aisles, a quire, a north porch and a western bell cote containing two bells. It was rededicated in 2008 as St Nicholas. [The History Files]
The Church of St. Mary & St. Nicholas is located at OS Grid Ref. SE6004558437
|Find nearby Churches in the Genuki Church database|
If you have an interest in Church Architecture, please see Phil Draper's "Church Crawler" pages.