All Saints of Yafforth stands on open ground at the north-east corner of Moor Lane and Yafforth Road,
on the eastern side of the village of that name. Yafforth appears in Domesday Book, described as a
'berewick' in the royal 'manor' of Northallerton. The church may have been built in 1208, but little
survives of it, including a single-light window in the south wall of the chancel, and an octagonal
font on a long octagonal stem inscribed 'et: st: ml 1663', near the porch outside.|
The church remained a chapel of ease to Danby Wiske Parish Church. With typical Victorian 'enthusiasm', it was almost entirely rebuilt in 1870 by J P Pritchett in the thirteenth century style and with a Norman window on the west side of the tower. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone was used in the walls. A single bell was hung for ringing with six angular canons. The building consists of a chancel, nave, a west tower of three storeys, a vestry, organ chamber and south porch. [The History Files]
All Saints' Church is located at OS Grid Ref. SE3443694489
If you have an interest in Church Architecture, please see Phil Draper's "Church Crawler" pages.