Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ABERFORD.     Church dedication: ST. RICHARD.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 3,820 acres. Barkston Ash and Skirack wapentakes, L.D *1. - Population, 925 *2; Church-room, 550 *3; Net value, £305. -The manor of Aberford formerly belonged to the Barons de Spencer, who in 35th Edw. I. obtained a charter for a weekly market on Wednesday there, and also a yearly fair on the eve, day, and morrow, after the feast of St. Dionis.

The Church was formerly of the patronage of the family of the Walkynghams, knights, Lords of Ravenesthorpe. It was appropriated to Oriel College, Oxford, and a Vicarage ordained 9th March 1331. The College still presents.

Torre gives a catalogue of the Rectors.

There was a Chantry here.

The Church of Aberford is valued in Pope Nicholas's Taxation at £16. In the King's books the Vicarage is valued at £6. 1s. 6d. Synodals 4s. and Procurations 7s. 6d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 339, at £26. Augmented in 1739 with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from Oriel College, Oxford; and in 1764 with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. John Perfect.

An Inclosure Act was passed 6th Geo. IV.

Charities:
John Hick's charity. Rent of two acres of land, distributed in bread and money.

Lady Betty Hastings' charity. £10. 10s. per annum, for teaching 30 free scholars, and 40s. per annum, for bread and wine for the Communion.

Cryer's charity. Interest of £6 for the Parlington poor, and was placed in the hands of a Mrs. Susannah Sampson, but payment has not been made for many years. -Vid. 15th Report, page 632.

9th December 1768, licence to erect a gallery.

12th April 1794, faculty to erect another gallery.

21st March 1800, faculty to take down part of the church-yard wall, and on the site thereof to build a wall, which should form part of the house of Sir Thomas Gascoigne, Bart.

The impropriators are charged with the rebuilding the Chancel when need requires, but the Vicar is charged with the repairs.

The Register books commence in 1540. The entries of marriages in 1555, 1588 -1590, are deficient.

There is a glebe house fit for residence, which was rebuilt under a faculty granted 3d July 1739.

A post town.


References:
Torre's MS. page 223. Abp. Sharp's MS vol. i. page 97.


Notes:
*1 That part of the township which is east of the river cock, is in the parish of Sherburn. The Parliamentary. Commissioners recommended such part to be united to Aberford parish.

*2 Viz. Aberford, 644; Parlington, 207; and Sturton Grange, 74. In 1834, Population returned at 901. The township of Aberford is partly in Upper Barkstone Ash wapentake; it also extends into the jurisdiction of St. Peter of York.

*3 Three hundred additional free sittings have been obtained, towards which a grant of £150 was made by the Society.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.