"ADDINGHAM, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, which is partly in the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, and partly in the wapentake of Claro, West Riding, 3 miles from Ilkley. The spinning of cotton, and the manufacture of goods from that material is carried on here by four establishments ; besides which, the woollen trade is advancing in importance. The places of worship are the parish church, a spacious chapel for the Wesleyan methodists, and a meeting-house for the society of friends. The church, which is an ancient structure, is pleasantly situated on an eminence, near the river Wharf. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Mrs. Mary Cunliffe. The parish of Addingham (including that part of Beamsley in Skipton parish), contained, in 1831, 2,458 inhabitants, and the township of Addingham 2,179 of that number.
Please see Ilkley Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]