"ADEL, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake 6 SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Addle cum Eccup and Arthington, and containing 1028 inhabitants, of which number, 699 are in the township of Addle cum Eccup, 51% miles N.N.W. from Leeds. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £16. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Representatives of the family of Arthington. The church, one of the purest existing specimens of Norman architecture, is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There is a free school, endowed with a portion of the income arising from £150, the gift of an unknown individual. This place was anciently called Adhill from the Ada of the Saxons, and it was the site of the Burgodurum of the Romans. In 1702, traces of a Roman town, with some inscribed stones, many fragments of urns, and the remains of an aqueduct, were discovered on an adjacent moor."
"ARTHINGTON, a township in the parish of ADEL, upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E. from Otley, containing 329 inhabitants. A convent of Cluniac nuns was founded here, in the twelfth century, by Piers de Ardington, which was valued, at the dissolution, at £19, the site is occupied by a farm-house, now called the "Nunnery." There is an endowment of £3 per annum for the education of poor children."
"ECCUP, a township, joint with Adel, in the parish of ADEL, upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.W. from Leeds, containing, with Brearey and Cookridge, 699 inhabitants. This is supposed to have been the site of the Burgodunum of the Romans. In 1742, upwards of five hundred coins, chiefly of Valerianus, Gallienus, Tetricus Victorinus, and Claudius Gothicus, were discovered."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016