Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for ADEL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

ADEL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ADEL, (or Addle), a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to-the N.W. of Leeds. It contains the townships of Addle-cum-Eccup and Arthington, with the hamlets of Breary and Cookridge. The water-works for the supply of Leeds are in this parish. Its ancient name was Adhill. On the moors in the neighbourhood of the village some remains of the Roman Burgodunum still exist. Stones, bearing Latin inscriptions, and portions of urns have been found. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £623, in the patronage of John Muray, Esq. The church, which was built before the, commencement of the 12th century, is a very fine example of Norman architecture; it is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There are several charities, including a free school endowed by some person whose name is unknown."


"ARTHINGTON, a township in the parish of Adel, wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Otley. It is situated in the beautiful valley of the Wharfe, and is a station on the North Eastern railway. Early in the reign of Henry II. Piers de Ardyngton founded in this place a small Cluniac nunnery. Its value at the Dissolution was £19. No remains of it exist. It was granted in 1542 to Archbishop Cranmer. The hall, built on the site of the nunnery in the 17th century, is now a farmhouse. Arthington Hall is the principal residence."


"BREAREY, a hamlet in the parish of Adel, and wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Otley."


"COOKRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Adel, upper division of the hundred of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles S.E. of Otley. Here silk spinning is carried on."


"ECCUP, a township in the parish of Adel, West Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Leeds. In the middle of the last century a large quantity of Roman coins were found in this neighbourhood."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013