"ADEL, (or Addle), a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to-the N.W. of Leeds. It contains the townships of Addle-cum-Eccup and Arthington, with the hamlets of Breary and Cookridge. The water-works for the supply of Leeds are in this parish. Its ancient name was Adhill. On the moors in the neighbourhood of the village some remains of the Roman Burgodunum still exist. Stones, bearing Latin inscriptions, and portions of urns have been found. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £623, in the patronage of John Muray, Esq. The church, which was built before the, commencement of the 12th century, is a very fine example of Norman architecture; it is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There are several charities, including a free school endowed by some person whose name is unknown."
"ARTHINGTON, a township in the parish of Adel, wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Otley. It is situated in the beautiful valley of the Wharfe, and is a station on the North Eastern railway. Early in the reign of Henry II. Piers de Ardyngton founded in this place a small Cluniac nunnery. Its value at the Dissolution was £19. No remains of it exist. It was granted in 1542 to Archbishop Cranmer. The hall, built on the site of the nunnery in the 17th century, is now a farmhouse. Arthington Hall is the principal residence."
"BREAREY, a hamlet in the parish of Adel, and wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Otley."
"COOKRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Adel, upper division of the hundred of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles S.E. of Otley. Here silk spinning is carried on."
"ECCUP, a township in the parish of Adel, West Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Leeds. In the middle of the last century a large quantity of Roman coins were found in this neighbourhood."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013