"ARTHINGTON, in the parish of Adel, upper-division of Skyrack; (Arthington Hall, late the seat of W.G. Davy, Esq.) 3 miles W. of Harewood, 5 from Otley, 7 from Leeds. Pop. 329.
Here about the middle of the twelfth century, was a Priory of Cluniac Nuns, built and endowed by Peers of Arthington, who gave the site and desmesnes of the house, which were augmented by Serlo, his son, and confirmed by Pope Alexander. It flourished till the year 1540, when Elizabeth Hall, the last Prioress, and nine Nuns, surrendered the same. Valued at the dissolution, £11. 8s. 4d. --Dugdale, £13. 7s. 4d. --Speed. Not a vestige is now to be seen. The site was granted to Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury, in exchange. A plain substantial Hall House, was built upon the site, apparently in the beginning of the reign of Charles I. for the front door-way, dated 1585, has evidently been removed from some older structure. It is now occupied as a farm house, the property of the Earl of Harewood. Arthington itself would be distinguished for the beauty of the situation, in any other valley than that of Wharf. It is a large well-built, square house, on a fine elevation above the river, and was for many centuries the seat of a family of that name. --Dugdale. --Burton. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."
"ARTHINGTON NUNNERY, in the parish of Adel, upper-division of Skyrack, and adjoins the village of Arthington."
"COOKRIDGE, in the township and parish of Adel, upper-division of Skyrack; (Cookridge Hall, the seat of Richard Wormald, Esq.) 4½ miles from Otley, 5½ NW. of Leeds.
This was part of the possessions of Kirkstall Abbey, to which it was given during the time of the very first Abbot, Alexander, and continued to the last. Numbers of coins, fragments of urns, and other Roman vessels, have at different times, been found here; the Roman station at Adel Mill, not being far distant. Cookridge has been rendered famous for the noble and pleasant walks, in geometrical lines, contrived by Mr. Kirke, F.R.S. in Thoresby's time, and who was then owner of the estate. After his death, it was bought by, or for Edmund Sheffield, then Duke of Buckingham. --Whitaker's Ducatus Leodiensis. --Whitaker's Ducatus Leodiensis."
"EAST BREAREY, a hamlet in the township and parish of Adel; 5 miles from Otley, 6 from Leeds, 8 from Wetherby."
"ECCUP, in the township of Adel with Eccup, and parish of Adel, upper-division of Skyrack; 3 miles SW. of Harewood, 5½ from Leeds, 8 from Otley. Pop. included in Adel.
In the year 1742, a quantity of Roman coins were found here amounting to upwards of 500, amongst which were some of Valeriarnus, and his son Gallienus Tetricus Victorinus, Claudius Gothicus, &c. Population included with Adel."
"KERSHALL, a farm-house in the township of Arthington, and parish of Adel; 4 miles W. of Harewood."
"KIRSKILL, a farm-house in the township of Arthington, and parish of Adel; 3 miles from Harewood."
"MOSELEY WOOD, in the township of Adel with Eccup, and parish of Adel, Upper division of Skyrack; 4 miles SE. of Otley, 6½ from Leeds."
"WEST BREAREY, a farm-house in the township of Arthington, and parish of Adel; 6 miles from Leeds."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016