Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ADLINGFLEET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ADLINGFLEET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ADLINGFLEET, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 10 miles to the N.E. of Thorne. Howden is the post town. It includes the townships of Eastoft, Fockerby, and Haldenby. It is situated near the confluence of the rivers Trent and Ouse with the Humber. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £330; in the patronage of the lord chancellor. Besides the parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, there is a new church at the hamlet of Eastoft, which is a perpetual curacy, value £150, in the patronage of Lady Strickland. The charities amount to £69, and include an endowment by Mary Ramsden for apprenticing and educating poor children."


"EASTOFT, a township in the parish of Adlingfleet, in the lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding, county York, 7 miles N.E. of Thorne, and 10 S.E. of Howden. In conjunction with Eastoft, in county York, it forms an ecclesiastical district. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1774."


"FOCKERBY, a township in the parish of Adlingfleet, lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 1 mile from the village of Adlingfleet, and 8 miles S.E. of Howden. It is situated at the confluence of the Trent and Ouse. There is an endowed free school, under the patronage of Catherine Hall, Cambridge, in which it has several fellowships and scholarships. In 1743 a bequest was left by Mrs. Ramsden for the instruction of girls and apprenticing boys."


"HALDENBY, a township in the parish of Adlingfleet, lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Goole. It is situated near the river Don, and forms with Eastoft a township Haldenby Park is the principal residence. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1767. The waste lands adjoining Thorne Moor are gradually being brought into cultivation."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013