Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ADWICK LE STREET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ADWICK LE STREET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ADWICK LE STREET, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.W. of Doncaster. It includes the township of Hamphall with Stubbs. It was situated on the ancient road called Ermine-street. A branch of the river Don passes through the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £450, in the patronage of J. Fullerton, Esq., of Thriberg. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. There is a small endowed free school, which was founded by the Rev. W. Hedges. The water of a spring here is valued as a remedy for weak eyes."


"HAMPOLE, a township in the parish of Adwick-le-Street, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Doncaster. It is situated on a small stream near the road from Doncaster to Wakefield. In 1170 William de Clarefai and his wife founded a Cistercian priory here for fourteen nuns. At the Dissolution its revenues were returned at £85 6s. 11d. In the village is a small chapel, erected on the site of the old priory by the late Lord Rendlesham. It was intended for a chapel-of-ease for the parish church, but for want of endowment the service of the Established Church has been discontinued, and the building is now let to the Wesleyans. There are day and, Sunday schools with an endowment of £15 per annum. The lord of the manor and principal landowner is C. S. A. Thelluson, Esq."


"STUBBS, a township in the parish of Adwick-le-Street, N. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Doncaster. It is joined with Hamphall to form a township. The principal residence is Stubbs Hall."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013