Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ELLENTHORP: Ellenthorp Congregational Church History up to 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ELLENTHORP: Ellenthorp Congregational Church History up to 1868.

ELLENTHORP. (PRESBYTERIAN )

The particulars which can be recovered respecting Ellenthorp, about a mile from Boroughbridge, are very interesting.

John Brook, Esq., twice Lord Mayor of York (whose tutor was Mr. P. Williams), who died 1693, had a mansion at Ellenthorp, near Boroughbridge, which is still standing. Near to Ellenthorp Hall, Lady Brook built a small chapel in the year 1658, of a somewhat ornamental character. Afterwards the family left Ellenthorp for the neighbourhood of London.

There is no accurate account of the first ministers at Ellenthorp.

  • Rev. RICHARD FRANKLAND is stated by Calamy*1 to have resided in Mr. Brook's family, and to have preached here for a short time, before his ejectment. After 1662, the Rev. Noah Ward, who lived at Askham, three miles from York (and was assistant to Rev. Ralph Ward, at York), apparently succeeded him, preaching in York, Selby, and Ellenthorp in rotation. Ellenthorp had the benefit of his services till 1669.
  • Lady Brook gave £500 for the support of "a preaching minister," probably on some arrangement similar to that at Bramhope (see page 243). The interest of this sum, £20 per annum, was paid by Lord Grantley within the present century.
  • 1674. Rev. CORNELIUS TODD, eldest son of Rev. Robert Todd, of Leeds. He was a pupil, at Cambridge, of Rev. David Clarkson (see p. 243), and was ejected from Bilton. He had been one of the ministers at Mill Hill, Leeds. Before and after this he lived at Helaugh Manor, Tadcaster, through the kindness of Lord Wharton, who allowed him £8 per annum during life. He was seized whilst preaching at the house of John Disney, Esq., and sent to Pontefract, where close confinement put an end to his life June 29, 1696, aet. 65.
  • Rev. JAMES TAYLOR (Franklands Acy.). "He endeavoured," says Calamy, "to live his predecessor over again in humility and thankfulness." He died Feb. 11, 1743, let. 73. His daughter was married to Rev. T. Gardner, of Low Row. He had eighty hearers in 1715.
  • Rev. JOSIAH OWEN, from Rochdale. "His powers of retort were very great, and he had ample use for them. He usually came off victorious in the contest. This talent procured for him the admiration of his own party, while it made him dreaded and avoided by the High Church. He was author of several works, religious and political."*2 He died 1755, aet. 44.
  • Rev. -- BROOKESBANK.
  • Rev. Dr. WOOD. He is said to have been previously a physician at Darlington. He removed to Whitby.
  • Rev. -Kemp. Though he was a pious and excellent man, his hearers were extremely few. He died shortly after his settlement.
  • Rev. -- CONYNGHAM. During his residence the congregation presented few signs of vitality. He preached irregularly at Knaresborough, then nominally united to Ellenthorp. He was at length incapacitated by a lingering disorder. Before his death
  • Rev. WILLIAM HOWELL (Shrewsbury Acy.) settled at Knaresborough, and preached once a fortnight at Ellenthorp, the congregation of which was then in a state of great ignorance and deadness. After labouring unsuccessfully for a considerable time, he was about to retire from so discouraging a work, when suddenly a revival took place, and his prospects of usefulness here became bright. He appears to have relinquished Ellenthorp about 1812.
  • 1812. Rev. -- NORRIS. He was pastor here for thirty years, and died March 1, 1842.
  • 1842. Rev. GEORGE CRAGG, as pastor of Boroughbridge, to which Ellenthorp was now united.
  • Rev. GEORGE DUNN, in the same capacity.
  • Rev. J. E. CULLEN, in the same capacity.
In the year 1857 the preaching at Ellenthorp was discontinued. The payment of the endowment has long ceased. The chapel is now in a state of ruin.

NOTES:-
* Vol. ii. p. 177,
*1 Con. Register, Vol. xiii. p. 125.
*2 On the authority of the late Rev. J. Allason, Low Row.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.