Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ALMONDBURY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ALMONDBURY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"ALMONDBURY, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelries of South Grassland, Farnley-Tyas, Honley, Linthwaite, Lockwood, and Meltham, a portion of the chapelry of Marsden, and the townships of Almondbury, Austonley, Holme, Lingarths, Nether Thong, and Upper Thong, and containing 23,979 inhabitants, of which number, 5679 are in the township of Almondbury, if mile S.E. from lluddersfield. The living is a vicarage, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of the lord of the manor, rated in the king's books at £20. 7. 11., and in the patronage of the Governors of Clitheroe school. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is in that character of the later style of English architecture which prevails in the northern counties. New churches have been erected at Crossland, Linthwaite, and Nether Thong. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. This is supposed to have been the Cambodunum of Antoninus -. here was a royal palace belonging to the Anglo-Saxon monarchs, and near its site is a hill, upon which are vestiges of a rampart and the remains of a fortification. There arc numerous manufactories for fancy goods and woollen cloth in the parish. A free grammar school was founded by letters patent of James I., the annual income of which amounts to about £76, arising from lands and rentcharges demised by Robert Nettlcton and other benefactors. In 1724, Israel Wormall bequeathed land, the produce of which, after the decease of certain legatees, he directed to be applied towards instructing and apprenticing poor children of this place."


"AUSTONLEY, a township in that part of the parish of ALMONDBURY, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.W. from Huddersfield, containing 968 inhabitants, who are mostly engaged in the manufacture of woollen cloth, for which there are numerous mills in the township."


"FARNLEY TYAS, a chapelry in that part of the parish of ALMONDBURY, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.S.E. from Huddersfield, contain-, ing 900 inhabitants. Here is a free school."


"HOLME, a township in the parish of ALMONDBURY, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S.S.W. from Huddersfield, containing 459 inhabitants. The manufacture of woollen goods is somewhat extensively carried on here. A school has been erected on ground given by James Earnshaw, for the support of which Joshua- Earnshaw, in 1691, bequeathed £300."


"HONLEY, a chapelry in the parish of ALMONDBURY, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.W. from Huddersfield, containing 3501 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Almondbury. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists; also a National school erected by subscription in 1816."


"LINGARTHS, a township in the parish of ALMONDBURY, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.S.W. from Huddersfield, containing 809 inhabitants."


"LINTHWAITE, a chapelry in the parish of ALMONDBURY, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from Huddersfield, containing 2127 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Here is a considerable woollen manufacture."


"LOCKWOOD, a chapelry in the parish of ALMONDBURY, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile S.W. from Huddersfield, containing 1881 inhabitants. A handsome chapel has recently been erected by the parliamentary commissioners, containing nearly one thousand sittings, four hundred of which are free. There is a place of worship for Baptists."


"MELTHAM, a chapelry in the parish of ALMONDBURY, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.S.W. from Huddersfield, containing 2000 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. The manufacture of woollen and cotton goods is carried on here. A school-room was built by subscription, about six years ago; the master receives the interest of £20, the bequest of Matthew Lockwood in 1715; there are no free scholars."


"NETHER THONG, a township in the parish of ALMONDBURY, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.W. from Huddersfield, containing 927 inhabitants, of whom many are employed in the manufacture of woollen cloth."


"NORTH CROSSLAND, (and South Crossland), a chapelry in the parish of ALMONDBURY, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 3f% miles S.W. from Huddersfield, containing 1583 inhabitants. The chapel was lately erected at the expense of £2321. 4.. 1., granted by the commissioners under the act passed in the 58th of George III., for building additional churches, and contains three hundred and twenty-two free sittings. The manufacture of woollen cloth is extensively carried on here; and there is a scribbling-mill in the neighbourhood. A rentcharge of A 3 was given by Godfrey Beamont towards the support of a school; and in 1749, Sir John Lester Kaye, Bart., gave land for the erection of a schoolroom, which has since been rebuilt."


"UPPER THONG, a township in the parish of ALMONDBURY, upper division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 65 miles S.S.W. from Huddersfield, containing 1437 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The manufacture of woollen goods is here carried on to a considerable extent."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]