Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ALMONDBURY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ALMONDBURY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ALMONDBURY, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the S.E. of Huddersfield. It lies near the Manchester and Leeds section of the London and North Western railway, near the canal and the river Colne. It comprises the chapelries of South Crossland, Farnley-Tyas, Honley, Linthwaite, Lockwood, Meltham Netherthong, Upperthong, Holme Bridge, Meltham Mills, Milns Bridge, Armitage Bridge, Helme, and part of that of Marsden, with the townships of Almondbury, Austonley, and Lingarths, besides several hamlets This place was probably the Campodunum mentioned in the Itinerary of Antoninus. The Saxon kings had a palace here, and on a neighbouring hill remains of an ancient fort are still in existence. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £571, in the patronage of Sir J. W. Ramsden, Bart. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and is in the perpendicular style. Fourteen new district churches have been erected in the parish. There are chapels belonging to the Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists. The parochial charities are considerable, amounting to £423, of which sum £75 is the revenue of the free grammar school founded in 1609 by letters patent of James I., and subsequently endowed by Robert Nettleton and others. The revenue of the charity established by Israel Wormall in 1724 for teaching and apprenticing children amounts to £168; and that of Nettleton, for maintenance of bridges and giving of marriage-portions to £138. There are many woollen manufactories and some cotton and silk mills, which, with the collieries, furnish employment to many of the inhabitants."


"ARMITAGE BRIDGE, a chapelry in the parish of Almondbury, and wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, not far from Huddersfield. The living is a perpetual car.* in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of the vicar."


"AUSTONLEY, a township in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the S.W. of Huddersfield. It is on the banks of the river Colne, not far from the border of Derbyshire. The population are chiefly engaged in the woollen manufacture."


"BLACKMORR FOOT, a hamlet in the chapelry of Linthwaite, and parish of Almondbury, wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, not far from Huddersfield."


"CASTLE HILL SIDE, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 1 mile from Huddersfield."


"CLOUGH, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, in the West Riding of the county of York, 1 mile from Huddersfield."


"COLD HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, in the West Riding of the county of York, 1 mile S.E. of Huddersfield."


"DEAN HOUSE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Honley and parish of Almondbury, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles S. of Huddersfield."


"FARNLEY HEY, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, a short distance from the village of Almondbury."


"FARNLEY TYAS, a township in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Huddersfield, its post town, and about 1 mile N.W. of the Stocks Moor station on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway. The surface is very elevated, forming one of the highest spots in the county, and is beautifully wooded. It includes the hamlets of Farnley-Tyas and Woodsome-Lees. Stone for building purposes is abundant, and coal is worked. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £100. There are National and infant schools for boys and girls. Woodsome Hall is an ancient seat of the Earl of Dartmouth, who is lord of the manor."


"FENNYBRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, within a short distance of the town of Huddersfield."


"GREAVE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Nether Thong and parish of Almondbury, West Riding of county York, 4 miles. S. of Huddersfield."


"HAGG, a hamlet in the chapelry of Honley and parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Huddersfield."


"HALL ING, a hamlet in the chapelry of Honley and parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Huddersfield."


"HAZLE GROVE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Linthwaite and parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 2 miles from Huddersfield."


"HOLME, a township in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 9 miles S.W. of Huddersfield, its post town, 7-1 S.W. of Almondbury, and 3 S.W. of Holmfirth. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Holme, under Holme Edge, which is 1,859 feet in height. This township is within the graveship of Holme, in the manor of Wakefield. The population is chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture, which is carried on to a considerable extent. The surface is exceedingly hilly, and the chief portion of the land consists of moor. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £150. There is an endowed school for both sexes, in which divine service is performed every alternate Sunday."


"HOLMFIRTH, a chapelry and town, partly in the parish of Almondbury, but chiefly in that of Kirkburton, wapentake of Upper Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 6 miles S. of Huddersfield. It is a station on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway. It is a large manufacturing village, and polling place for the West Riding, situated in a vale watered by the river Holm, over which are two stone bridges, and sheltered by lofty hills. The town, which is of modern growth, is irregularly built, but is well paved and lighted. The inhabitants are principally engaged in the manufacture of woollen cloth, for which the numerous springs of clear soft water in the vicinity render it particularly well adapted. The machinery of the mills is impelled by the powerful streams which descend from the hills, and by water collected in three reservoirs formed at the cost of £30,000. Many of the inhabitants are also engaged in the extensive collieries, and some in business at Huddersfield. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkburton. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Roman Catholics, and Baptists, and several schools. Fairs are held on the Saturday following 27th March, and 28th October, and before Old May Day."


"HONLEY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 3.A, miles S. of Huddersfield, its post town, and 1 mile from the Honley station on the Huddersfield and Sheffield railway. It is a populous village situated in the vale of the Holme, which join& the Colne below Hapton. This township contains Shady Row, and 7 other hamlets There are some woollen manufactories, giving employment to a large portion of the inhabitants. Building-stone is quarried at Scott Gate Head; and coal of inferior quality is obtained in large quantities. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £160, in the patronage of the Vicar of Almondbury. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1843. It is a stone structure, with a square tower containing a clock and one bell. The interior of the church contains monuments to the Brook family. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Brockholes. Here are National and infant schools for both sexes. The Independents, Wesleyan Free Church, and Primitive Methodists, have each a chapel, and the Wesleyans and New Connexion have two chapels each. A new union poorhouse has been recently erected at Deanhouse for the accommodation of the southern townships of the Huddersfield union. The Earl of Dartmouth is lord of the manor."


"LINGARDS, (or Lingarths), a township in the parish of Almondbury, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Huddersfield. The surface is hilly, affording good moorland pasture. The township contains, besides the hamlet of Lingarths, part of the village of Slaithwaite, in which most of the population reside. There are quarries of good building stone."


"LINTHWAITE, a township and chapelry in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Huddersfield. It is situated on the Huddersfield and Manchester road, and between the two branches of the river Colne. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the woollen manufacture, which is extensively carried on. There are also several large quarries of good building stone. Facility of conveyance is afforded by the Manchester canal, which passes through the township. The impropriate tithes belong to the governors of Clitheroe grammar school. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Almondbury. The church, dedicated to Christ, has a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles and surmounted by a spire. It was erected in 1828, at an expense of £3,000, partly defrayed by the Parliamentary Commissioners. There are places of worship for the Baptists, Wesleyans, and Free Wesleyans, also a Wesleyan school for both sexes and a mechanics' reading-room. The National school is at Milnes Bridge,' and is licensed by the bishop for Divine service."


"LOCKWOOD, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 1 mile S.W. of Huddersfield, its post town. It is a station on the Huddersfield and Sheffield and Huddersfield and Holmfirth lines of railway. This district is situated in the vale of the river Holme, near its confluence with another tributary of the Colne, and on the road to Sheffield. It includes the villages of Crosland Moor, Newsome, Primrose Hill, Salford, and Taylor Hill. Woollen fabrics are extensively manufactured, and there are large mechanical works, iron and brass foundries, and a large brewery, established in 1790. The village, which is well built, comprising many handsome houses, contains an hotel for the accommodation of persons visiting the spa, and a mechanics' institute, with every convenience, and adapted to the requirements of both sexes, to whom it is equally open. There are chalybeate springs and baths, known as the Lockwood Spa, which is a handsome building, erected in 1827, containing warm, tepid, vapour, cold, and shower baths, with a large swimming bath. The water of this spa has a strong sulphureous smell and taste, containing 35 parts of carburetted and 17 of sulphuretted hydrogen, 7 of carbonic acid, 41 of azotic gas, besides a small proportion of carbonate of lime and sulphate of magnesia. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the gift of the vicar of the parish. The church of Emanuel is a stone structure, with a handsome E. window, erected in 1830 at the cost of £3,000. The Baptists have two chapels, the Free Methodists one; the United Free Methodists have also one at Crosland Moor. There are public and National schools for boys and girls."


"MAGLORDSHIP, a hamlet in the chapelry of South Crossland and parish of Almondbury, West Riding of county York, 3 miles S.W. of Huddersfield."


"MARSDEN, a township and chapelry partly in the parish of Almondbury, and partly in that of Huddersfield, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 7 miles S.W. of Huddersfield, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Saddleworth. It is a station on the N.E. branch of the London and North Western railway, which passes through a tunnel from Dingle above three miles in length, being the longest tunnel in England. The Manchester and Huddersfield canal passes through an adjoining tunnel under the Stannish mountain, which was commenced by James Brindley, and was 20 years in formation. The village, which is of large extent, is situated in the vale of the river Colne, and of late years has been greatly improved. In 1860 the Local Government Act was put in force, so that the village is now governed by a local board of health. It is well lighted with gas, and contains a mechanics' institution and mechanics' hall; the latter was erected in 1861 at an expense of £2,500. There are numerous woollen mills, cotton and silk factories, a corn-mill, and an extensive iron foundry. A great portion of the land is moorland. The small river Messenden here joins the Colne. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £174, in the patronage of the Vicar of Almondbury. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is an ancient stone structure with a belfry. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held, besides a town school. The Independents and the Wesleyan Methodists have each a chapel. Sir Joseph Radcliffe, Bart., of Rudding Park, is lord of the manor. Fairs are held for general merchandise on 25th April, 10th July, and 25th September."


"MELTHAM, a township in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Huddersfield, its post town, and 3¼ N.W. of Holmfirth. The village is situated in a valley adjoining a mountainous moorland ridge called West Nab, and abounds with mineral wealth. A portion of the inhabitants is employed in the woollen and cotton trade. There is an extensive iron foundry. In this township are quarries of good flagstone, also coal. A great portion of the laud is moory. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £260, in the patronage of the Vicar of Almondbury. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a stone structure with a square tower containing six bells. The tower was added in 1835, when the church was enlarged. There is a National school for both sexes, and day and Sunday schools for the Wesleyan Methodists, for whom there is a place of worship, and one for the Baptists. A fair is held on the first Saturday in April, and the first Saturday after the 11th October."


"MILNESS BRIDGE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Linthwaite, and parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 4 miles W. by S. of Huddersfield."


"NETHER THONG, a township in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Huddersfield, its post town, and 1 mile N. of Thongs-Bridge station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The village, which is situated on rising ground near the western bank of the river Holme, is considerable, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture. The township contains the hamlets of Greave and Thongs-Bridge. The soil is fertile, and the land in good cultivation. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Almondbury. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is modern. There are several stone quarries."


"NEW ROAD SIDE, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, near Huddersfield."


"NEWSOME, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 1 mile S.E. of Huddersfield."


"NORTH CROSSLAND, (and South Crossland) a chapelry in the parish of Almondbury, West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S.E. of Huddersfield, its post town, and 10 from Rochdale. It is situated to the E. of the river Colne, and includes the hamlet of Maglordship. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the woollen manufacture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Almondbury. Beaumont's charity produces about £15 per annum."


"OAKS, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 1 mile S.E. of Huddersfield."


"OLDFIELD, a hamlet in the chapelry of Honley, and parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Huddersfield. It is situated near the river Colne. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the woollen trade."


"SHADY ROW, a hamlet in the chapelry of Honley, parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Huddersfield. It is situated near the river Colne. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the neighbouring woollen mills, and in the mines."


"SLADES, a hamlet in the chapelry of Linthwaite and parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, near Huddersfield."


"THORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 1 mile S.E. of Huddersfield, near the Huddersfield canal and the river Colne. There are cotton and woollen mills."


"UPPER THONG, a township in the parish of Almondbury, upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Huddersfield. The township includes part of the village of Holmfirth, and the village of Upper Thong. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture. The Independents and Wesleyans have chapels. There are National schools. The parochial charities produce £29."


"WOODBOTTOM, a hamlet in the chapelry of Honley and parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Huddersfield."


"WOODNOOK, a hamlet in the township of Honley and parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Huddersfield."


"WOODSOME LEES, a hamlet in the township of Farnley Tyas, parish of Almondbury, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Huddersfield. The Earl of Dartmouth is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013