Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ALMONDBURY.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Vicarage in charge.

Area,30,140 acres. Agbrigg and Morley wapentake, U.D. -Population, 30,606 *1; Church-room, 950 *2; Net value, £232. -Formerly a Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Barons Lacy, who are supposed to have founded the Church, and from them of the Dukes of Lancaster.

In Pope Nicholas's Taxation the Church is stated to be appropriated to Nostell Priory.

The Rectory was appropriated to the College of Jesus at Rotherham, by Henry VII. as Duke of Lancaster, and a Vicarage ordained therein 13th March, A.D. 1485, and a new ordination was made 15th June 1488.

At the Dissolution, the Rectory reverted to the Crown, and was given to Clithero grammar school, 1st and 2nd Philip and Mary, the governors of which school are the present patrons and impropriators.

In Pope Nicholas's Taxation the Church was valued at £40 per annum, and the Vicarage was valued in the King's books at £20. 7s. 10d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 294, at £40 per annum. A pension of 48s. 8d. to the Vicar of Dewsbury. Synodals, 4s. Procurations, 7s. 6d.

39th Geo. III. Act for inclosing North Crossland; 9th Geo. IV. Act for inclosing Holme.

Mich. Term, 7 Chas. II. decree in the Exchequer relative to tithes, but which is unreported.

3rd November 1756, licence granted to erect a gallery.

5th May 1797, ditto.

7th November 1828, faculty to erect galleries, and make other alterations.

Glebe house fit for residence.

The lord of the manor of Marsden exercises the right of proving wills in the manorial court in certain cases.

Mr. Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars, which is continued by Dr. Whitaker.

The Register books commence in 1653. A few loose leaves prior to that year.

Charities:
Broadhead's charity at Upper Thong. 4a. 2r. 14p. of land, given in 1730, by Daniel Broadhead, for the use of the poor not receiving parochial relief. Two cottages have also been built, the rents of which are added to the charity. The rent is laid out in the purchase of blankets and linen cloth.

Woman's charity. Founded under the will of Israel Wormall, dated 11th August 1724, for payment of £5 per annum to a school-master, residue of rent for apprenticing poor children. The estate consists of 53a. 29p. of land, and 10 cottages. In 1824, an information was filed in Chancery by certain parishioners against the trustees for an account, and the suit was pending when the Report was made.

Nettleton's charity. Founded by Robert Nettleton, by deed, dated 11th Jas. I. for repairing bridges and highways, portioning poor maids, preferring scholars, and relieving the poor of the township of Almondbury. The estate consists of 31a. 2r. 4p. of land, 10 cottages, and an annual rent-charge of £8.

Jane Tetnay's charity, by will, 1765. Interest of £100.

Rent-charges. £6. 10s. applied towards the poor's rate, which the Commissioners disapproved of.

Grammar School. Founded by King James I. in the sixth year of his reign. The governors must reside within two miles of the parish. The master must be a single man and a graduate. Statutes to be made with the consent of the Archbishop of York, who shall also appoint the master, should the governors neglect to do so within two months after a vacancy. The school is open to all poor boys of the parish, for gratuitous instruction in Greek and Latin. In 1821, with the consent of the Archbishop of York, it was resolved to instruct 10 poor boys in reading, writing, grammar, and arithmetic. The Commissioners notice the liberal conduct of the Rev. John Coates, the then master. Total number of free scholars, 14 to 17. Income £76. 2s. 8d.

Joshua Earnshaw's charity, by will, 24th November 1693. £16. 5s. per annum to a schoolmaster, for learning such children of Holme and Gate Holme as come to him, reading, writing, and arithmetic, without charge. About 30 or 40 scholars.

Poor's estate. Left by John Earnshaw, 9th Wm. III. Let for about £10 per annum, and the money given to the poor. -Vide 18th Report, page 542.

Post town: Huddersfield.


References:
Bawdwen's Domesday Book, pages 141. 1.5. 142 Torre's MS. page 751. Wood's MS. (Bodleian) No. 5101. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 198. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 327. Kinderwell's Scarborough, page 12. Wright's Halifax, page 33. Mon. Ang., vol. vi. page 1441.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Almondbury, 7,086; Austonley, 1,420; South Crossland, 2,258; Farnley Tyas, 849; Holme, 630; Honley, 4,523; Lingarths, 758; Linthwaite, 2,852; Lockwood, 3,134; Marsden, 1,698 ; Meltham, 2,746 ; Nether Thong, 1,004 ; Upper Thong, 1,648. The Population has increased 6,627 since 1821. The Chapelry of Marsden is partly in Huddersfield parish, and entered accordingly. The families of occupiers of land at Holme and Marsden (being partly employed in manufacture or trade) are entered in the second class of occupations. This parish has increased in Population 6,627 persons, chiefly attributed to the extension of manufactures. Upwards of 300 men are employed in quarries and on the public roads.

*2 Exclusive of the Chapels. 360 additional sittings (of which 100 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of £50.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.