Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Almondbury:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Almondbury:


"ARMITAGE FOLD, a hamlet in the townships of North and South Crosland, and parish of Almondbury, 2¼ miles S. of Huddersfield."


"AUSTONLEY, in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield; 7½ miles SSW. of Huddersfield. Pop. 968."


"BERRY BROW, a hamlet in the township and parish of Almondbury, 2 miles from Huddersfield."


"BLACKMOORFOOT, a hamlet in the township of South Crossland, and parish of Almondbury, 3½ miles SW. of Huddersfield."


"BRADLEY BROOK, the junction of three townships, Linthwaite, Lingards, and Meltham, and parish of Almondbury, 5 miles from Huddersfield."


"CASTLE HOUSES, a hamlet in the township and parish of Almondbury, 2½ miles from Huddersfield."


"CAUD HILL, or Cold Hill, a hamlet in the township and parish of Almondbury, 2 miles s. of Huddersfield."


"COLDWELL, or Callwell or Cawell, a hamlet in the township of Austonley, and parish of Almondbury, liberty of Wakefield, 6 miles S. of Huddersfield."


"CROSLAND, (North, South, Half and Moor) in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 2 miles from Huddersfield, 12 from Halifax, 13 from Penistone. Pop. 1,583."


"CROSLAND HALL, a single house in the township of South Crosland, and parish of Almondbury, liberty of Wakefield, 4 miles from Huddersfield.

Crosland Hall, an ancient Mansion of the Beaumonts, which was surrounded by a Ditch; the remains of which were visible in Mr. Watson's time. This mansion is rendered famous in local history, by the family feuds of the Elands of Eland, Beaumonts of Crosland, and Lockwoods of Lockwood, in the time of Edward III. when Sir Robert Beaumont was slain in this Hall. For particulars, see Watson's History of Halifax."


"DIGLEY ROYD, a farm-house in the township of Austonley, and parish of Almondbury, liberty of Wakefield, 7 miles S. of Huddersfield."


"FARNLEY TYAS, in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles SE. of Huddersfield, 9½ from Penistone, 13 from Wakefield. Pop. 900."


"FENAY HALL, a single house in the township and parish of Almondbury, 2½ miles from Huddersfield."


"FENAY LODGE, (the seat of John Brook, Esq.) in the township and parish of Almondbury, 2 miles from Huddersfield."


"FINTHORPE, (the seat of Richard Clay, Esq.) in the township and parish of Almondbury.; 2½ miles from Huddersfield."


"GATEHEAD, 2 houses in the township of Marsden, and parish of Almondbury, 5 miles SW. of Huddersfield."


"HEIGHT, a hamlet in the township of Linthwaite, and parish of Almondbury, 3¾ miles S. of Huddersfield."


"HIGH ROYD HOUSE, (the seat of Thomas Beaumont, Esq.) in the township of Honley, and parish of Almondbury, 3½ miles from Huddersfield."


"HOGLEY, a hamlet in the township of Austonley, and parish of Almondbury, 7 miles from Huddersfield."


"HOLME, in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 9 miles S. of Huddersfield, 11 from Penistone. Pop. 459."


"HONLEY, in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles S. of Huddersfield, 12 from Penistone, 13½ from Wakefield. Pop. 3,501. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. *£124. 9s. 6d. Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury."


"HOOBROM, in the township Austonley, and parish of Almondbury, 8 miles from Huddersfield, 11 from Penistone. An ancient mansion converted into cottages."


"LINFIT HALL, (or Linthwaite Hall), cotts. in the township of Linthwaite, and parish of Almondbury, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles from Huddersfield."


"LINGARDS, (or Lingarths), scattered houses in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 5 miles SW. of Huddersfield, 19½ from Manchester. Pop. 809."


"LINTHWAITE, in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles SW. of Huddersfield. Pop. 2,127."


"LOCKWOOD, in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, a part in the liberty of Wakefield, 1½ miles S. of Huddersfield. Pop. 1,881.

William Lockwood, of Lockwood, Esq. was slain in his own house here, by Sir John Elland, of Elland, and his adherents, in the reign of Edward III. --Watson's History of Halifax."


"LONGLEY HALL, a single house in the township and parish of Almondbury, 1 mile from Huddersfield. An ancient seat of the ancestors of Sir John Ramsden, Bart."


"LONGROYD BRIDGE HOUSE, (the seat of John Fisher, Esq,) in the township of Lockwood, and parish of Almondbury, 1 mile from Huddersfield."


"LOWER HAGG, a hamlet in the township of Honley, in the parish of Almondbury and wapentake of Agbrigg; 4½ miles S. of Huddersfield."


"LOWER THORP, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, 2 miles from Huddersfield."


"MARSDEN, in the parishes of Almondbury and Huddersfield, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 7 miles SW. of Huddersfield, 15 from Manchester. Pop. in Almondbury, 1,708, in Huddersfield, 622, total, 2,330, The Church is a perpetual curacy under Almondbury, value, p.r. £80."


"MELTHAM, in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles SW. of Huddersfield, 20 from Manchester, (Lanc.) Pop. 2,000. Here is a Chapel of Ease to Almondbury, dedicated to St. Bartholomew.

Abraham Woodhead, whom Dr. Whitby pronounces the most ingenious and solid writer of the Roman Catholic party, was a native of this place, and born in 1608, and is supposed by many to be the author of "the Whole Duty of Man." He died in 1678."


"NETHER THONG, in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles S. of Huddersfield, 10 from Peniston. Pop. 927."


"NETHERTON, a hamlet in the township of South Crosland, and parish of Almondbury, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles S. of Huddersfield, 11 from Halifax."


"NEWSOME, a hamlet in the township and parish of Almondbury, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles S. of Huddersfield."


"OLDFIELD, a hamlet in the chapelry of Honley and parish of Almondbury, 3 miles S.W. of Huddersfield. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the woolen trade. (From the National Gazetteer, 1868)"


"PARK GATE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Almondbury, 2 miles S. of Huddersfield."


"QUARRY HILL, a hamlet in the township and parish of Almondbury, 2 miles from Huddersfield."


"ROYD HOUSE, a single house in the township of Farnley Tyas, and parish of Almondbury, 4 miles from Huddersfield."


"THICK HOLLINS, (the seat of Joseph Green Armitage, Esq.) in the township of Meltham, and parish of Almondbury, 5 miles from Huddersfield."


"THORNTON LODGE, (the seat of John Horsfall, Esq.) in the township of Lockwood, and parish of Almondbury, 1 mile from Huddersfield."


"THORPE VILLE, 2 houses in the township and parish of Almondbury, 2 miles from Huddersfield."


"UPPER HAGG, a hamlet in the township of Honley, in the parish of Almondbury and wapentake of Agbrigg; 4½ miles S. of Huddersfield."


"UPPER THONG, in the parish of Almondbury, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 6 miles S. of Huddersfield, 10 from Penistone. Pop. 1,437."


"UPPER THORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Almondbury, 2 miles from Huddersfield."


"WOOD NOOK, 3 or 4 cotts. in the township of Honley, and parish of Almondbury, 4¼ miles from Huddersfield."


"WOODSOME HALL, (the residence of Richard Gill, Esq.) in the township of Farnley Tyas, and parish of Almondbury, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles from Huddersfield, 10 from Penistone.

Woodsome, so called from its situation, almost imbosomed in flourishing oak woods, and anciently a seat of the Kayes, but lately of the Earl of Dartmouth, whose great grandfather married the heiress of the Kayes. The house is quadrangular and spacious. The Hall is of the latter end of the reign of Henry VIII. or that of his son, Edward VI. This apartment is preserved entire, the rest of the front has been rebuilt, and bears the date of 1600. In this Hall, are two very singular paintings, on board, dated 1573. One contains a flat full faced figure of John Kaye, son of Arthur Kaye, and Dorothy Mauleverer, his wife. Around the father, are the figures of his sons, and around the mother, her daughters. At the feet of the lady is a cumbent figure of an aged man, marked 76, in black. On the margin of each is a long catalogue of the noble and generous kin of the parties, and on the backs, (for they are painted on both sides) the respective arms of the same. To all these are added, several singular and rude inscriptions, particulars of which are given in Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."


"YATEHOLME, or Gateham, a farm-house in the township of Holme, and parish of Almondbury, 9 miles S. of Huddersfield."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]