Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ARNCLIFFE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ARNCLIFFE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ARNCLIFFE, in the parish of its name, partly in the eastern, partly in the western, division of the wapentake of Staincliffe, in the West Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the N.E. of Settle. Skipton is its post town. The parish comprises the whole valley of the Skirfare, a branch of the river Wharfe, and part also of Wharfdale. The district includes some of the highest ground in England, and its scenery is wild and variously beautiful. The parish contains the chapelries of Halton Gill and Hubberholme, and the townships of Buckden, Hawkeswick, and Litton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £36, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald. In addition to the parish church, there are two district churches, one at Halton Gill, and the other at Hubberholme, the livings of which are both perpetual curacies, value £80 each, in the gift of the vicar. High up among the hills near Arncliffe, is a remarkable hollow, called Doukbottom Cove, surrounded by wild cliffs, and entered by an oblong opening overhung with ivy and fern."


"BEGGARMONDS, a hamlet in the parish of Arncliffe, wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 10 miles to the N. of Settle."


"BUCKDEN, a township in the parish of Arncliffe, wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 11 miles to the N.E. of Settle. It is situated in the valley of the Wharfe, and includes several hamlets."


"CRAY, a hamlet in the parish of Arncliffe, eastern division of the wapentake of Staincliff, in the West Riding of the county of York, 10 miles S.E. of Hawes."


"DEARNBROOK, a hamlet in the parish of Arncliffe, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 8 miles N.E. of Settle."


"DEEPDALE, a hamlet in the parish of Arncliffe, wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles N.W. of Kettlewell. It is situated on the river Wharfe."


"FOXUP, a hamlet in the chapelry of Halton Gill and parish of Arncliffe, West Riding county York, 9 miles N.E. of Settle."


"HALTON GILL, a township and chapelry in the parish of Arncliffe, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of Kilnsey. The land is chiefly pasture. The principal landowners are Sir J. Ramsden, and Mrs. Preston. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Arncliffe. The church, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1636,"


"HAWKESWICK, a township in the parish of Arncliffe, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York; 12 miles N.E. of Settle. It is situated near the river Wharfe. The soil is shallow, but fertile in the valleys, with limestone subsoil. The land is chiefly meadow and pasture."


"HESLEDEN, a hamlet in the chapelry of Halton-Gill, parish of Arncliffe, West Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Skipton, and 9 N.E. of Settle, near the river Wharfe."


"HUBBERHOLME, a hamlet in the township of Buckden and parish of Arncliffe, West Riding county York, 8 miles S.E. of Hawes, and 11 N.E. of Settle. It is situated near the river Wharfe. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Arncliffe. The church is dedicated to St. Michael."


"LITTON, a township in the parish of Arncliffe, western division of the wapentake of Staincliffe, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Kilnsey, and 9 N.E. of Settle. It is situated in the valley of Litton-Dale, on the banks of the river Wharfe. The village stands on the Skirfare rivulet, one of the feeders of the Wharfe. There are a few charities belonging to the township. The Hon. Mrs. Ramsden is lady of the manor:"


"YOCKENTHWAITE, a hamlet in the parish of Arncliffe, West Riding county York, 12 miles N.E. of Settle, in the vale of the river Wharfe. *

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013