Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Arncliffe:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Arncliffe:


"ARNCLIFFE COTE, 4 farm-houses in the townships of Arncliffe and Hawkswick, and parish of Arncliffe, 4 miles W. of Kettlewell.

Here lived in 1579, a man named Tristram Knowles, whose father and himself together had occupied a tenement upwards of 120 years! These two men had seen six generations of the Cliffords, and nine Sovereigns of England. --Whitaker's Craven."


"BECKERMONDS, (or Beggarmans) a hamlet in the township of Buckden, and parish of Arncliffe, 8 miles from Kettlewell, 14 from Settle, 17 from Leyburn."


"BUCKDEN, in the parish of Arncliffe, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 4 miles NW. of Kettlewell, 14 from Settle, 16 from Leyburn. Fair, October 12, for horned cattle, &c. Pop. 382."


"CRAY, a hamlet in the township of Buckden, and parish of Arncliffe, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles NW. of Kettlewell, 9 from Askrigg and Hawes, 5 from Middleham."


"DEEP DALE, 4 farm-houses in the township of Buckden, and parish of Arncliffe, liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles from Kettlewell, 15 from Settle."


"FOXUP, a hamlet in the township of Halton Gill, and parish of Arncliffe, liberty of Staincliffe; 10 miles N. of Settle and Kettlewell,"


"GREENFIELD, (High and Low) 2 farm-houses in the township of Buckden, and parish of Arncliffe, liberty of Staincliffe; 10½ miles NW. of Kettlewell."


"HALTON GILL, in the parish of Arncliffe, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 9 miles NW. of Kettlewell, 10 from Settle; 14 from Hawes, 20 from Skipton. Pop 114. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. !£60. 7s. 7d. Patron, the Vicar of Arncliffe. The Chapel was rebuilt in 1636; it has no churchyard or interments, but is dependent on Arncliffe.

"Amongst the singular characters of this country, was Mr. Wilson, formerly curate of this place, and father of the late Rev. Edward Wilson, canon of Windsor, he wrote a Tract entitled "The Man in the Moon;" which was seriously meant to convey the knowledge of common astronomy in the following strange vehicle: A cobbler, Israel Jobson by name, is supposed to ascend, first to, the top of Penigent; and thence, as a second stage, equally practicable, to the Moon; after which he makes a tour of the whole solar system. From this excursion, however, the traveller brings back little information which might not have been had upon earth, excepting that the inhabitants of one of the planets, were made of Pot metal." The book is now rarely to be met with. --Whitaker's Craven."


"HAWKSWICK, in the parish of Arncliffe, west-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 4 miles SW. of Kettlewell, 10 from Settle, 15 from Skipton. Pop. 86."


"HESLEDEN, (Nether and Over) 2 farm-houses in the township of Halton Gill, and parish of Arncliffe, liberty of Staincliffe; 9 miles from Kettlewell, 11½ from Settle."


"HUBBERHOLME, a single house in the township of Buckden, and parish of Arncliffe, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles NNW. of Kettlewell, 15 from Settle, 17 from Leyburn. The Chapel is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Michael, value, p.r. !£46. 7s. Patron, the Vicar of Arncliffe.

This Chapel bears marks of very high antiquity. Several Norman Arches remain entire, though the square piers of some of them were drest away to slender octagons, when the chapel underwent a general repair, which seems to, have been about the reign of Henry VIII. The steeple is of the same period if not still later. Over the entrance of the chancel is an entire and curious roodloft of oak, very handsomely wrought, and painted with broad red lines. On the front of which is the date 1558.

This is a sequestered and interesting place, situated on the northern banks of the Wharfe, shaded by tall trees on the east, and overhung by a steep and lofty wood beyond. Few scenes are better adapted to quiet and contemplation. --Whitaker's Craven."


"KIRK GILL, 2 or 3 farm-houses in the township of Buckden, and parish of Arncliffe, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Kettlewell."


"LITTON, in the parish of Arncliffe, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 8 miles NW. of Kettlewell, 11 from Settle, 18 from Skipton. Pop. 102.

This is a small village, that gives name to the dale, called Littondale, in which the Abbots of Fountains had several estates. These estates, as well as three in Langstrothdale, were sold by the Gresham family to the second Earl of Cumberland. The manorial and forest rights of Littondale and Langstrothdale are the property of his Grace the Duke of Devonshire, as representative of the last male line of the Cliffords. --Whitaker's Craven."


"OLD COTES, a farm-house in the township of Hawkeswick, and parish of Arncliffe; 5 miles from Kettlewell, 11½ from Settle."


"OUGHTERSHAW, a hamlet in the township of Buckden, and parish of Arncliffe, 8¼ miles NW. of Kettlewell, 14 from Settle."


"RAISGILL, 2 farm-houses in the township of Buckden, and parish of Arncliffe, liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles NW. of Kettlewell."


"SCARHOUSE, in the parish of Arncliffe, wapentake of Staincliffe; 6 miles NW. of Kettlewell."


"SPITAL CROFT, a farm-house in the township of Litton, and parish of Arncliffe, liberty of Staincliffe; 8 miles W. of Kettlewell."


"YOCKENTHWAITE, a hamlet in the township of Buckden, and parish of Arncliffe, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles NW. of Kettlewell."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]