Area, 1,770 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wap., N.D. - POP., 520; Church-room, 300 *1; Net value, £640. -This Church, an ancient Rectory in charge, was given by Robert de Lexington to the Chapter of Southwell, and afterwards appropriated to them by Archbishop Walter Gray, but it seems this appropriation had no effect, and a Vicarage was ordained therein, 4th August 1461.
Patrons, the Prebendaries of Southwell Collegiate Church.
This Church is of the fourteenth century. It had a Chantry therein.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's Taxation at £12; in the King's books at £22. 19s. 10d., after deducting for Synodals 4s. and Procurations 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 483, at £60 per annum.
The impropriator is charged with the payment of 2s. per annum to the poor of the parish.
An Inclosure Act was passed 59th Geo. III.
Mr. Hunter gives a catalogue of the Rectors.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1558. Entries of marriages deficient 1732, 1754. -Vide Transcripts at York.
Poor's estate. Two tenements, with an allotment of 1a. 2r. 34p. purchased with sundry benefactions. Rent distributed at Christmas amongst the most deserving poor.
School close, 1a. 2r. 22p. Rent paid to the schoolmaster.
Rev. Mr. Ayde's gift, about 1761. Interest of £50 for teaching five poor children to read.
Robert Wharam's gift, who died 8th November 1671. £2 per annum to each of the most needful poor people of Barmbrough, Hooton Pagnell, and Brodsworth, viz. 13s. 4d. for each town. Edward Townson's charity, by will, dated 19th December 1824. Dividends of £189. 5s. 6d. new four per cents. to be distributed by the minister and churchwardens amongst the poor on Christmas day. -Vide 18th Report, page 606.
Post town: Doncaster.
Torre's MS. page 879. Abp. Sharp's MS. i. page 235. Nonae Roll, page 223. Bodleian MS., No. 5,101. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. 1. page 371.
*1 Of which 53 are free sittings, under a grant of £40 from the Society for Enlarging Churches.
ST. HELEN'S CHAPEL. - (Parish of Barmbrough.)-This was in ruins in 1620. No traces are now visible.