Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BARNBY DUN.     Church dedication: ST. PETER AND ST. PAUL.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 3,670 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, S.D. -Population, 561 *1; Church-room, 300; Net value, £115. -This was anciently a Rectory, in the gift of the Barons Newmarch, till it was given by John Gifford to bis newly-founded Chantry at Cotheringstoke, to which it was appropriated in 1344, and a Vicarage ordained therein in 1349.

Patron, Rev. John Gresham. Impropriator, T. Gresham, Esq.

There was a Chantry in this Church. There have been no institutions to the Vicarage since 1554.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's Taxation at £26. 13s. 4d.; also see Nonae Rolls, page 220. The Vicarage is valued in the King's books at £9. 12s. 6d., after deducting for Synodals and Procurations 7s. 6d.; in 1818 at £66; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 463, it is stated, " Vicarage £10 per annum, and £10 more paid by the impropriator."

Augmented in 1731 with £200, to meet benefaction of lands worth £200 from Roger Portington, Esq.; and in 1821 with £800 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

Mr. Hodgson also observes that " Barnby" was augmented in 1767, with £200 by lot, but he does not distinguish which Barnby it is.

Inclosure Acts were passed 6th Geo. III. (Grumble Hurst and Thorpe Marsh), and 43rd Geo. III.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1600.

Charities:
Countess of Sutherland's charity, by will, about the year 1731. Dividends of £884. 18s. 8d. old south sea stock. Applied to the minister for a sermon on every 1st of August ; to four poor women, to be nominated by the minister and two neighbouring justices, 52s. each, and 10s. each for gowns and coals; residue for management. The Commissioners reported that the charity had been neglected, in consequence of which it had failed so far as relates to the education of poor boys and girls of the town of Bramwith.

John Martin's charity, by will, dated 17th May 1798. Interest of £130 applied in teaching six poor children, and providing them shoes and books.

School and pinder's allotments. Rent of 5a. 1r. 30p. of land, of which £5 per annum is paid to the pinder, and £11 per annum to the schoolmaster, for teaching six poor children as free echo lays.

Poor's allotments. 2r. 1r. 3p. The rent distributed among the poor at Christmas.

THORPE IN BALNE TOWNSHIP. -James Fretwell's charity, by will, dated 31st December 1751. Rent-charge of £5 per annum, to be disposed of as follows 13s. 4d. to the minister of Barnby Donn, for preaching two sermons in the afternoon on particular days in the will mentioned; 13s. 4d. to the minister of Campsall, for two sermons in the afternoon on the days therein mentioned; two Bibles to two poor children of the testator's relations, if any such should apply for them. The remainder of the £5 for teaching poor children to read English, and instructing them in the principles of the Christian religion.

Benefactions for education. A small piece of land was purchased with £50, amount of sundry benefactions for teaching children, and applied to the support of the school and the repairs of the building. -Vide 17th Report, page 782.

Post town: Doncaster.


References:
Torre's MS. page 891. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 218. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5,101. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. i. page 208. Nonae Roll, page 220.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Barnby Donn, 440; and Thorpe in Balne, 121.


Other information:
THORPE. - A Chantry within the Chapel of Thorpe is named in the Valor Ecclesiasticus.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.