|Yorkshire||West RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BARNOLDSWICK, or GILL CHURCH, a parish-town in the east division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles N. of Colne, 4 miles from Gisburn, (Lanc.) 49 from York. Pop. 1334. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Craven, value p.r. £62. 9s. 6d. Patron Sir John Lister Kaye, Bart.
The church here, which seems to have been built soon after the Monks left this place, is situated near a mile and a half from the village, upon the brink of a deep glen, whence it has obtained the name of Gill Church.
In 1147 Henry de Lacy founded a monastery here, and translated hither twelve Monks and ten Conversi, under Alexander, Prior of Fountains, for the support of which he assigned the whole town of Barnoldswick. The old church was levelled to the ground by the Abbot. After six years residence in continual warfare with the Rector and Parishioners, and frequent ravages committed upon their lands by the Scots, they abandoned Barnoldswick, and went to Kirkstall. Tanner. The situation of this Monastery was on the margin of the brook, west of the village. --Whitaker's Craven."
"ADMERGILL, a farm-house in the township of Brogden, and parish of Barnoldswick, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 2 miles from Guisburn."
"BARNOLDSWICK COATES, in the parish of Barnoldswick, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles from Colne, (Lanc.) 7 from Skipton, 11 from Burnley, (Lanc.) Pop. 97. The large hall House, built by the Drakes, is now converted into cottages."
"BROGDEN, a hamlet in the parish of Barnoldswick, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles NW. of Colne, (Lanc.) 9 from Skipton, 11 from Burnley, (Lanc.) Pop. 233."
"SALTERFORTH, in the parish of Barnoldswick, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 4 miles N. of Colne, (Lanc.) 10 from Skipton and Burnley, (Lanc.) Pop. 686."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]