Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Barwick In Elmet:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Barwick In Elmet:


"BARNBOW, a hamlet in the township and parish of Barwick in Elmet, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles E. of Leeds, 8 from Wetherby."


"CROSS GATES, 2 or 3 houses in the townships of Seacroft and Barwick in Elmet, and parishes of Whitkirk and Barwick in Elmet; 4 miles from Leeds."


"HOBBERLEY HOUSE, a farm-house in the townships and parishes of Thorner and Barwick in Elmet; 4½ miles from Leeds."


"KIDDAL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Barwick in Elmet; 4 miles from Aberford."


"KIDDAL INN, in the township and parish of Barwick in Elmet; liberty of the honour of Pontefract; 4 miles from Aberford, 6¼ from Tadcaster, 5 from Leeds."


"LAZENCROFT, a farm-house in the township and parish of Barwick in Elmet, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles ENE. of Leeds."


"MORWICK, a farm-house in the township and parish of Barwick in Elmet, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles NE. of Leeds."


"POTTERTON, a hamlet in the township and parish of Barwick in Elmet, liberty of Pontefract; (Potterton Lodge, (now Potterton Hall) the seat of Edward Wilkinson, Esq.) 6 miles S. of Wetherby, 7 from Tadcaster."


"RED HALL, a farm-house in the township of Shadwell, and parishes of Thorner and Barwick in Elmet; 5 miles from Leeds."


"ROUNDHAY, a hamlet in the parish of Barwick in Elmet, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles NNE. of Leeds, 10 from Wetherby. Pop. 186.

Here the ancient family of the Lacies, from the earliest period, after they became possessed of Pontefract with its dependencies, had a Park; hence the name Roundhay, or the circular Pale. It was granted by Robert de Lacy to the Monks of Kirkstall. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."


"SCHOLE'S PLAIN, a single house in the township and parish of Barwick In Elmet; 5 miles from Leeds."


"SCHOLES, a hamlet in the township and parish of Barwick in Elmet, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles NE. of Leeds, 9 from Wetherby,"


"SCHOLES GRANGE, in the parish of Barwick in Elmet, wapentake of Skyrack; 5 miles NE. of Leeds."


"STANK HOUSE, a single house in the township and parish of Barwick in Elmet; 3 miles SW. of Aberford, 7 from Leeds."


"STANKS, a hamlet in the township and parish of Barwick In Elmet; 5½ miles from Leeds."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]