GENUKI Home page    Barwick In Elmet Parish<br>main page Barwick In Elmet
Parish
main page

BARWICK IN ELMET:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"BARWICK IN ELMET, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the E. of Leeds. It comprises the chapelries of Manston and Roundhay, with the hamlets of Kidhall, Morwick, Barnbow, Potterton, Scholes, Stanks, and part of Winmoor. The kings of Northumbria are said to have had a seat here, the site of which is a mound now called Hall Tower Hill, surrounded by a double entrenchment, about half a mile in circuit. The manor, which was once held by the Lacys, now belongs to H. J. Gascoyne, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon, of the value of 770, in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Besides the parish church, there are two district churches:- one at Manston, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value 180, in the patronage of the rector; the other at Roundhay, also a perpetual curacy* value 205, in the patronage of W. Nicholson, Esq. The charitable endowments, including 14 to a free school, amount to 32 a year. Barwick is the head of a Poor-law Union."


"BARNBOW, a hamlet in the parish of Barwick-in-Elmet, wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N.E. of Leeds."


"HIDDLE, a hamlet in the parish of Barwick-in-Elmet, wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Leeds."


"MORWICK WITH SCHOLES, a township in the parish of Barwick-in-Elmet, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Leeds. It is joined with Scholes."


"POTTERTON, a hamlet in the parish of Barwick-in-Elmet, West Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Leeds, and 7 W. by S. of Tadcaster."


"ROUNDHAY, a township in the parish of Barwick-in-Elmet, lower division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Leeds, its post town, and 12 from Bradford. This place, which derived its name from being anciently a park, enclosed within a circular pale, belonged to Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln, from whom it passed to Henry, Duke of Lancaster, and afterwards to John of Gaunt, in right of his wife Blanche, and thus became vested in the crown, but was given to Lord D'Arcy by Henry VIII. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Aire, and on the road from Leeds to Wetherby. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the stone-quarries. The soil is fertile, and in good cultivation. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value 225. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a modern edifice, with a square embattled tower, crowned with pinnacles, and surmounted by a spire containing three bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments. It was erected and partly endowed by the late T. Nicholson, Esq. There is a school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The neighbourhood is studded with villas and detached residences, chiefly occupied by the merchants of Leeds. Roundhay Park, the seat of the Nicholson family, is surrounded by woods and plantations and embellished with a lake of 34 acres in extent. William N. Nicholson, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"SCHOLES, a hamlet in the parish of Barwick-in-Elmet, wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Leeds. The substratum abounds with coal. The manufacture of cords for machinery is carried on. There is a district church, erected in 1841. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."


"STANKS, a hamlet in the parish of Barwick-in-Elmet, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Leeds."


"WINMOOR, a hamlet in the parish of Barwick-in-Elmet, wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Leeds. It is supposed to be the spot where Penda was defeated in 655, and at Hall Tower Hill are remains of a castle of the Northumbrian kings."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014