"BATLEY, an irregularly distributed village in the parish of its name, it is partly in the wapentakes of Morley and Agbrigg about two miles from Dewsbury. Many scribbling mills are in this village, and its manufactures take of the like-character as those of Dewsbury. Here is an ancient church dedicated to All Saints, the benefice of which is a vicarage, in the gift of the Earl of Wilton, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Foster: here are besides two Methodists chapels, and a free Grammar school, founded and endowed by the Rev. William Lee in 1613. Batley township contained, in 1821, 3,717 inhabitants." Note: The directory entry for Batley in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Dewsbury.
"BATLEY CAR, is in the parish of Batley, and lies between that township and Dewsbury, almost adjoining the latter town." Note: The directory entry for Batley Car in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Dewsbury.