"BATLEY, an irregularly distributed village, in the parish of its name, is about 2 miles from Dewsbury. Many scribbling mills are in this township & its manufactures are of the same nature as those of Dewsbury. The ancient parish church, is dedicated to All Saints ; the benefice is a vicarage, in the gift of the Earl of Wilton, & incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Foxley : here are besides two methodists chapels, and a free grammar school, the latter founded and endowed by the Rev. William Lee in 1613. Batley Car forms part of the parish of Batley, and is situated between that township and Dewsbury, almost adjoining the latter town. Batley township contained, in 1821, 3,717 inhabitants, and in 1831, 4,841. Please see Dewsbury Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this village."
"CHURWELL, is a village and township, in the parish of Batley, in the part which is in the wapentake of Morley, one mile s.w. from Beeston, and three s.w. from Leeds. The trade of this township is of the same nature as that of Beeston; in addition to which there are two malting concerns, and one brewery. A chapel for Calvinists, and another for Wesleyan methodists, are the places of worship. The township contained, according to the parliamentary census taken in 1831, 1,023 inhabitants."
"GILDERSOME, is a chapelry, in the parish of Batley, and the wapentake of Morley ; 2 miles n.w. from Morley, and 4.5 s.w. from Leeds. The manufactures are of the same kind as those which prevail in Morley. The places of worship are the small ancient chapel, subject to Batley, and a chapel each for Wesleyan methodists, baptists, and the society of friends. The chapelry contained, in 1821, 1,592 inhabitants, and in 1831, 1,652. Please see the Morley section of the 1834 trades directory for this village."
"MORLEY, is a large village and township, in the parish of Batley, and the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding ; situated on the main road from Leeds to Huddersfield, 4 miles w. from the former town, and 11 e. from the latter. The manufacture of woollen cloths is the staple of the place; besides which in the neighbourhood are valuable stone quarries, and productive coal mines. Previous to the Conquest, Morley had a parochial church, which subsequently became dependent on that of Batley; but in the time of Charles 1st, it was conveyed by the Earl of Sussex to trustees of the presbyterian church, and was never afterwards restored to the establishment; it retains much of its ancient appearance. The present church or chapel is a modern erection, built under the sanction of the parliamentary commissioners; it is dedicated to St. Peter, and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Batley: the Rev. Andrew Castles is the present curate. The other places of worship are for Wesleyan methodists and independents. The township contained, by the parliamentary returns for 1821, 3,031 inhabitants, and by those for 1831, 3,819."