The Morley Church was founded on September 11th, 1872, when twenty-four members were transferred from the Church at Gildersome; its pastor, Rev. John Haslam, with Rev. J. Barker of Lockwood, presided over the memorable service. On May 8th, 1871, a meeting of the Baptists living in the town had been held, which resulted in the hiring of the Oddfellows' Hall, where services were at once under-taken. A Sunday School was formed of thirteen scholars, seven of whom subsequently joined the Church, five of their number remaining to this day. Aided by a generous grant of £70 per annum from the Home Mission, the Rev. J. Wolfenden was called to the pastorate, which he faithfully sustained for three years.
In November, 1874, a new school-chapel was opened, the occasion being made memorable by the presence of Revs. Hugh Stowell Brown, J. P. Chown, and Alexander Maclaren. In 1875, the vacant pastorate was filled by Rev. R. Davies, who laboured with much blessing for ten years. He was succeeded by Rev. R. Green, who was only spared for a brief year of ministry. In 1889, Rev. C. Welton began a pastorate which extended to ten years, and, in 1897, the present commodious chapel was erected, which, with its lecture hall and classrooms, presented opportunities of increased activity and usefulness. From 1902 to 1904, Rev. G. Robinson was pastor, and, after a lengthy interregnum, the Rev. W. H. Tompkins undertook the leadership in 1907. He has led the Church into many Christian activities, which have been attended with sustained success.