GENUKI Home page    Batley Parish Batley
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Batley:


"BATLEY CARR, in the township and parish of Batley, liberty of Wakefield; 1 mile from Dewsbury."


"BROWN HILLS, in the parish of Batley, wapentake of Morley; 7 miles SW. of Leeds."


"BRUNTCLIFFE THORN, scattered houses, in the township of Morley, and parish of Batley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles N. of Dewsbury."


"CARLINGHOW, in the township and parish of Batley, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles from Dewsbury, 9 from Leeds."


"CHURWELL, in the parish of Batley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3¼ miles SW. of Leeds, 9 from Bradford, 12¼ from Huddersfield. Pop. 814."


"GILDERSOME, in the parish of Batley, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles SW. of Leeds, 7 from Bradford, 8 from Wakefield. Pop. 1592. The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Pontefract, value p.r. !102."


"HAVERCROFT, in the township and parish of Batley, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley; 2½ miles N. of Dewsbury, 6¼ from Bradford."


"HEALEY, a hamlet in the township and parish of Batley; 2½ miles NW. of Dewsbury, 6 from Wakefield."


"HOLDEN CLOUGH, strag. h. in the townships of Batley and Birstall, and parish of Batley; 4 miles n. of Dewsbury."


"HOWLEY HALL, in the township and parish of Batley; 2 miles N. of Dewsbury.

This place, now a mere ruin, was for several generations the magnificent seat of an illegitimate branch of the Savilles. If was built upon a fine commanding situation, by Sir John Savile, afterwards Baron Savile, of Pontefract, and finished in 1590, but received considerable additions from his son, the first Earl of Sussex, of that name. Camden, who saw the house when new, calls it oedes elegantissinas. This, with several considerable Lordships, went from the Saviles to the Brudenels. Tradition reports, that Rubens visited Lord Savile, and painted for him a view of Pontefract.

Howley was held for the King, in 1643, and stormed and plundered by the opposite party, which occasioned a memorial from the owner, Thomas, Lord Savile. See Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete, where is given an elevation of Howley Hall, as it appeared when entire, and two other views, and other interesting particulars. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete. --Camden."


"MORLEY, in the parish of Batley, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles from Dewsbury, 4½ SW. of Leeds, 7 from Wakefield. Pop. 3,031. It is a perpetual curacy, without Church or Chapel.

In the time of Domesday, Morley had a parish church; but it seems to have been reduced to the dependent state of a Chapel to Batley, by Robert de Lacy, the founder of the latter Church, and so to have continued till the great rebellion, when it was leased out, by Saville, Earl of Sussex, to certain Presbyterian trustees, for the term of 500 years, and ever since that time it has been used as a place of worship for Dissenters; and is said to be the only instance throughout England and Wales, of an ancient established place of worship, which was not restored to the established Church, at the restoration. It retains much of the form of a Church, and has a choir and two side aisles, supported upon wooden pasterns instead of columns, but marking the hands into which it has fallen, by sectarian frugality and inelegance. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete. It was some time back used by the Unitarians, now by the Calvinists.

Morley, although situate in Agbrigg-division, appears to give name to that portion of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley, called Morley-division. See Agbrigg."


"PURLWELL HALL, (the seat of Mrs. Taylor) in the township and parish of Batley; 1½ miles N. of Dewsbury, 6 from Wakefield."


"STAINCLIFFE HALL, (the seat of Miss Taylor,) in the township and parish of Batley; 2 miles from Dewsbury, 8 from Wakefield."


"STAINCLIFFE MOOR, in the parish of Batley, wapentake of Agbrigg; 2 miles N. W. of Dewsbury."


"STUMP CROSS, a hamlet in the township of Morley, and parish of Batley, liberty of Wakefield, 3½ miles from Dewsbury."


"UPPER BATLEY, a hamlet in the township and parish of Batley; 3½ miles from Dewsbury, 6 from Bradford."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014