Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bingley

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Bingley

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"BINGLEY, a market and parish-town, in the upper-division of Skyrack; 4¼ miles South East from Keighley, and 5¾ North West of Bradford, 10 from Otley, 11 from Halifax, 38 from York. Market, Tuesday. Fairs, Jan. 25, for horned cattle, August 25, 26, and 27, for horned cattle, sheep, and linen. Principal Inns, Brown Cow, and King's Head. Pop. 6,176. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Craven, value, ~£7. 6s. 8d. p.r. !£138. Patron, the King.

This is one of the thirty two Lordships which the Conqueror gave to Erneis de Berun; how long he held it does not appear; but about the year 1120 it was the property of William Paganell, founder of the Priory of Drax. His successors were the Gants, and William de Gant had a charter for a market here, 12th of John. The family of the Cantilupes afterwards became possessed of it; and in later times we find it in the hands by purchase, in 1668, of Robert Benson, father of the first Lord Bingley, whose descendant, James Lane Fox, Esq. is the present owner of it. In the time of Dodsworth, who visited this place in 1621, "there was a park at Bingley and castle near the church, on a hill, called Bailey Hill," of which little more than the name and tradition now remain. The church, a plain and decent structure, was restored in the early part of the reign of Henry VIII. Dr. Whitaker states it to be dedicated to All Souls. Here is a Free Grammar School, founded 20th of Henry VIII. value about £400. per annum, present master, the Rev. Dr. Hartley. By a decree of the Lord Chancellor, in December, 1820, it was determined that it should he conducted as a Free Grammar School for teaching the children of the inhabitants of the parish of Bingley, the learned languages. Here is also a National School established in 1814, and supported by voluntary contributions."

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.

  • Barcroft
  • Beckfoot
  • Cockcroft Mill
  • Cottingley
  • Cottingley Bridge
  • Cottingley House
  • Cowhouse
  • Cross Roads
  • Crossflatts
  • Cuckoo Nest
  • Cullingworth
  • East Morton
  • Eldwick
  • Faweather
  • Gawthorpe Hall
  • Gilstead
  • Greenhill
  • Hainworth
  • Harden
  • Laund House
  • Lees
  • Marley
  • Micklethwaite
  • Morton Banks
  • Myrtle Grove
  • Priesthorpe
  • Riddlesden
  • Rishforth Hall
  • Saint Ives
  • West Morton
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
topup

Cemeteries

  • The churchyard at St John's, Cullingworth has a good selection of old gravestones and inside can be found a plan of the churchyard which may help with those burial sites not marked with a memorial.[Yvonne Parker]

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Description and Travel

  • Garry Stockdill's Yorksview website contains a description and photographs of:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bingley to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup
topup

Memorial Inscriptions

topup

Societies

topup