"BINGLEY, and a small market and manufacturing town in the parish of its name, and with Micklethwaite forms one township, in the wapentake of Skyrack, in the west riding, is 206 miles from London, 20 from Wakefield, 17 from Huddersfield, 11 from Halifax, 6 from Bradford, and about 4 from Keighley, in the direct road between the two last-named towns, and in a salubrious and pleasant situation, seated on a dry hill between two delightful vallies. The worsted manufacture is carried on in this town and neighbourhood to a considerable extent; and there are several large worsted spinning establishments, and others of cotton, of minor importance. Paper is also made here; and there are many respectable, malting concerns. The town, which consists chiefly of one long street, tolerably built, lies between the river Aire and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, the latter passing close to the town, which is of great advantage to its trade. Besides the parish church (of which the Rev. R. Hartley is the incumbent) there are three chapels belonging to the dissenters. Here is also a free grammar schools well endowed; and a large one upon the national system, capable of accommodating eight hundred scholars. A news room has been lately established in the town, which is spiritedly and respectably supported. The, market, which is held on Tuesday, was formerly well and populously attended, but it has retrograded in advantage to the town, in proportion as that of Bradford bas increased. Two fairs are held annually, but they are not well attended; the periods are, January 25th, for horned cattle, and August 25th, for cattle, sheep and linen. The population of Bingley parish, by the census of 1821, amounted to 7,375, being an increase in ten years of about 1,500 persons; and the township of Bingley and Micklethwaite contained, by the last returns, 6,176."
"MORTON, (East and West,) a township, in the parish of Bingley, is about one mile from that town, participating with it in the manufacture of articles produced from the fleece; there are also two paper mills. The number of inhabitants, in 1821, amounted to 1,199."
Note: The directory entry for Morton in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Bingley.