"BINGLEY, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the market-town of Bingley, and the township of East and West Morton, and containing 7375 inhabitants, of which number, 617'6 are in the town of Bingley (including Micklethwaite), 37 miles W.S.W. from York, and 302 N.N.W. from London. This place is pleasantly situated on an eminence near the river Aire, and consists principally of one long street, containing several respectable and well-built houses; it is plentifully supplied with water: the air is salubrious, and the environs, which are richly wooded, abound with agreeable and diversified scenery. A newsroom has been recently established, which is well conducted and liberally supported. The principal branch of manufacture is that of worsted yarn, which is extensively carried on in the town and neighbourhood: there are some smaller factories for the spinning of cotton, and a manufactory for paper, together with a considerable trade in malt: the Leeds and Liverpool canal passes near the town. The market is on Tuesday: fairs are held on January 25th, and August 25th, 26th, and 27th, for linen, horses, and horned cattle. The living is a discharged vicarage, within the peculiar jurisdiction of the court of the manors of Crossley, Bingley, and Pudsey, rated in the king's books at £7- 6. 8., endowed with £400 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat edifice, in the later style of English architecture. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Methodists. The free grammar school was founded in the reign of Henry VIII., and endo.wed with land and tenements producing at present nearly £300 per annum, subject to certain payments to the poor: the premises comprise a large school-room, and a house and garden for the master. There is also a National school, capable of admitting eight hundred scholars. Mrs. Sarah Rhodes, in 17'84, gave five cottages, which she endowed as almshouses for five aged widows, who receive £3 per annum each: there are also several bequests for distribution in bread and clothes among the poor, and for other charitable uses."
"CULLINGWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of BINGLEY, upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from Keighley. The population is returned with the parishv There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The manufacture of worsted is carried on here. A school having a small endowment was built by subscription in 1780, in which from thirty to forty scholars are educated at a moderate charge."
"EAST MORTON, (and West Morton), a township in the parish of BINGLEY, upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.N.E. from Keighley, containing 1199 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
"MICKLETHWAITE, a township, joint with Bingley, in the parish of BINGLEY, upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the "county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from Keighley. The population is returned with Bingley."