Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Birstall:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Birstall:


"ADWALTON, in the township of Drighlington, and parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 5¼ miles from Bradford, 7 miles SW. of Leeds, 8¾ from Wakefield. No Market. Fairs, Feb. 26, Thursdays in Easter and Whitsun Weeks, for horses and horned cattle; and every other Thursday until Sept 29, for lean cattle." (There is further information for Adwalton).


"BIRKENSHAW, in the township of Gomersall, and parish of Birstall; Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles from Bradford, 8 from Leeds, 9 from Halifax."


"BRECKS, a farm-house in the township of Gomersall, and parish of Birstall; 4 miles SE. of Bradford, 7¼ from Leeds."


"CLECKHEATON, in the parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 5¾ miles SSE. of Bradford, 7 from Halifax, 9 from Leeds. Pop. 2,436. The Church (anciently called, Old White Chapel in the North, lately rebuilt and enlarged,) is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. !£92. Patron, the Vicar of Birstall.

At Cleck Heaton, "Dr. Richardson discovered the site and remains of a Roman town, of which he gave a distinct and satisfactory account to Thomas Hearne." The coins discovered here were principally of the lower empire."


"DRIGHLINGTON, in the parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles SE. of Bradford, 7 from Leeds. Pop. 1,719. The Chapel of Ease here to Birstall, after having been built 30 years, was consecrated by the Archbishop of York in 1815." (There is further information for Drighlington).


"EAST BIERLEY, in the township of North Bierley, and parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles S. of Bradford, 7 from Halifax, 10¼ from Wakefield."


"EDDERCLIFFE, a hamlet in the township of Liversedge, and parish of Birstall; 7 miles SE. of Bradford, 10 from Wakefield,"


"FIELD HEAD, in the parish of Birstall, wapentake of Morley, and honour of Pontefract; 8 miles SW. of Leeds; the birth-place of Dr. Joseph Priestley."


"GOMERSAL, (Great and Little) in the parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 5½ miles from Bradford, 7 from Leeds. Pop. 5,952."


"HECKMONDWIKE, in the parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles NW. of Dewsbury, 7 from Wakefield, 9 from Halifax. Pop. 2,579."


"HIGH FEARNLEY, a hamlet in the township of Wike, and parish of Birstall, 4½ miles from Bradford, 5 from Halifax."


"HIGHTOWN, in the township of Liversedge, and parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 4 miles W. of Dewsbury, 6 from Halifax, 9 from Wakefield."


"HUNSWORTH, in the parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles S. of Halifax, 5 from Bradford. Pop. 570."


"LITTLE TOWN, a hamlet in the township of Liversedge, and parish of Birstall; 9 miles SW. of Leeds, 8 miles from Halifax, Wakefield."


"LIVERSEDGE, in the parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 11 miles W. of Leeds, 7½ miles from Halifax, 8½ from Wakefield. Pop. 4,259." (There is further information for Liversedge).


"LOWER WYKE, in the parish of Birstall."


"MILL BRIDGE, in the parish of Birstall, wapentake of Morley, and honour of Pontefract; 2½ miles NW. of Dewsbury."


"OAKENSHAW, in the township of Cleckheaton, and parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 4 miles S. of Bradford and 4 from Halifax."


"OAKWELL HALL, a single house in the township of Gomersall, and parish of Birstall; 6 miles from Bradford, 8 from Halifax."


"ROBERTTOWN, in the township of Liversedge, and parish of Birstall, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley; 5½ miles NE. of Huddersfield, 8 from Halifax, 10½ from Leeds."


"SCHOLES, in the township of Cleck Heaton, and parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles S. of Bradford, 5 miles from Halifax, 11 from Leeds and Wakefield."


"SPEN, a hamlet in the township of Gomersall, and parish of Birstall; 7½ miles from Halifax, 8½ from Leeds."


"TONG, in the parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; (Tong Hall, the seat of John Plumbe, Esq.) 4 miles from Bradford, 7 miles SW. of Leeds and 6 from Wakefield. Pop. 1,893. The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Pontefract. Patron, John Plumbe, Esq.

Tong, usually styled a Lordship, although within the parish of Birstall, is not subject to the vicarage of that Church, excepting the annual payment of two shillings to the vicar for synodals; to the repairs of a part of the church yard wall; and an annual payment of five shillings to the churchwardens, under the denomination of rogues money.

Tong, the Tuinc of Domesday, and the lordship of a family of that name, from which family it has been successively transmitted to the Mirfields and Tempests; Sir George Tempest having built the stately mansion here, in 1702. --Whitaker's Ducatus Leodiensis. It is now enjoyed by John Plumbe, Esq."


"TONG LANE END, a hamlet in the township of Tong, and parish of Birstall."


"WESKETT HILL, a hamlet in the township of Tong, and parish of Birstall; 3 miles SE. of Bradford, 8 from Halifax."


"WYKE, in the parish of Birstall, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4½ miles S. of Bradford, 5 from Halifax, 8 from Huddersfield. Pop. 1,509."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]